Sweet smell, coolant leak, ugh...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wthammett

Reaction score
So I noticed when the wife pulls in the garage with the 2011 that if I walked by the front of the truck a few minutes later that I would smell coolant, like a sweet, burning off smell. Today I noticed a small pool of coolant on the garage floor towards the middle of the car just in front of the transmission pan. But this is only because it's leaking onto the one of the bottom covers and rolling down to a low point. I took a flashlight and checked the radiator and hoses, they all look bone dry - which tells me I'm not going to like where this cooolant is coming from. I take it into an Indy tomorrow, after two blown Disco motors guys I'm a little nervous - I'm the same guy who noted this has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned and I have 164,000 miles on her now...we shall see.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably the water pump/crossover pipe. Not a disaster most likely.

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Exactly. Not hard to do. See if shop will walnut blast your valves while in there....**** two birds with one stone while you have the intake manifold off.

wthammett

Reaction score
Ric - shop just called and they could not identify leak from the bottom or top so they need to remove the IM like you noted - praying for the water pump/crossover pipe!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ric - shop just called and they could not identify leak from the bottom or top so they need to remove the IM like you noted - praying for the water pump/crossover pipe!

our 2015 was producing the coolant smell and we had it in twice. They fixed it the last time with a new overflow cap. They told me the system is under pressure and it was seeping out. Skeptical, but the smell is gone. They also did the timing chain while it was in, so who knows.

good luck

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score

Mine was cracked just above the oring where it got plugged into the valley pan. As soon as I took out the bolt holding it the sleeve where the oring was got stuck and the part simply separated.

I plucked out the old tube and oring that was stuck.

IM is ten bolts and a bunch of stuff to unclip/ relocate to get out of the way.

wthammett

Reaction score
Waiting to speak to mechanic today - if it's the crossover pipe, with a 165K miles on motor I'm thinking its a good time to replace water pump as well - while there should I also replace the rear oil cooler pipe? Thanks

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, 165K miles! Have an 11' with only 87K miles on her. Waterpump was replaced under warranty a few years back. Any other major issues with your truck? How is the transmission doing? Have you changed the fluid?

Sorry to ask other questions, but I'm not sure how common it is to put 20K+ miles a year on a car is so I figured I would ask you.

wthammett

Reaction score
Jpip - happy to answer, I bought used at 138K miles and the vehicle was amazingly clean, drove true, every thing worked, etc. I believe the PO's drove a lot for travel sports or something. I've had to change the lower control arms, O2 sensors, and recently something to do with a diaphragm? I wasn't as clued in with my mechanic on that was as I should have been but yes, this has been a great vehicle and I enjoy the 5.0- oh, transmission fluid has not been changed, I need to jump on that quickly as it needs it.

wthammett

Reaction score
Just wanted to close the loop on this thread, so the coolant leak was the crossover pipe. While the intake manifold was removed I also had an oil pipe replaced, the IM gasket, thermostat and the waterpump with that pipe going through it replaced, new coolant and a new expansion tank cap later she's all done. I paid $1,800 for that work and at first my gut told me that was a little high, but consider all parts were $900, labor was another $900 (3 hours charged for removing the IM) plus another 2-3 hours for the pipes, gaskets and waterpump all in all I'm not too torn up about it - just wanted to let others know about what a range of costs were for this job. I can post costs I paid from Carlsbad Land Rover for the parts if anyone is interested. Good luck out there -

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM