Sweet smell, coolant leak, ugh...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kman62

Reaction score
http://www.sterlingautosport.com
Just wanted to close the loop on this thread, so the coolant leak was the crossover pipe. While the intake manifold was removed I also had an oil pipe replaced, the IM gasket, thermostat and the waterpump with that pipe going through it replaced, new coolant and a new expansion tank cap later she's all done. I paid $1,800 for that work and at first my gut told me that was a little high, but consider all parts were $900, labor was another $900 (3 hours charged for removing the IM) plus another 2-3 hours for the pipes, gaskets and waterpump all in all I'm not too torn up about it - just wanted to let others know about what a range of costs were for this job. I can post costs I paid from Carlsbad Land Rover for the parts if anyone is interested. Good luck out there -

A friend told me that Sterling Autosport in Murrieta is a good shop.

BTW I'm in the market for a new family adventure vehicle to do the local SoCal trails. I'm an ex 2015 JKU Rubicon owner, sold it to get a commuter car 17 Chevy Volt. But, the family miss our weekend trips to Big Bear moderate trails, Miller Jeep Trail, Mojave Desert, Sand Cayon, Cleghorn, etc. Anyway looking for 2013 v8 /14 v6 LR4 with HD package. I just have the old "is the LR4 reliable" question. Ive read a lot of blogs, reviews but like to here from real owners. I saw your story and would to here more.

I had a 2014 LR4 transported to the Murrieta CarMax store, ~57K miles with HD package it's listed for ~38K and the CarMAx warrenty is another 5. I'm also looking at a 13 LR4 ~57K miles for 31K and its has CPO warrenty. I would like to get a 7 setter with good off road capabilites. I also cross shooping the 2013 LC200 (TLC & LX570)

I other see a white and black LR driving around town on ocassion, maybe one of those are you. Again I would like to here your LR4 stories good/bad. Perhaps we could do coffe or In N Out, etc my dime.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the sweet smell, even after changing the crossover. Top end had no signs of coolant evaporation but I'm leaking coolant from somewhere intermittently and the reservoir looks dry on the exterior. Added dye, waiting to check tonight. Pump is only a year old and looks dry as well.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the sweet smell, even after changing the crossover. Top end had no signs of coolant evaporation but I'm leaking coolant from somewhere intermittently and the reservoir looks dry on the exterior. Added dye, waiting to check tonight. Pump is only a year old and looks dry as well.

I would be interested in what you do or do not find with the dye.

I can smell coolant intermittently on my 2012. It already has a newish water pump, crossover pipe, o-ring, etc.

Haven't thought of a defective reservoir cap, so I will inspect that closely. No other signs of leakage anywhere

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested in what you do or do not find with the dye.

I can smell coolant intermittently on my 2012. It already has a newish water pump, crossover pipe, o-ring, etc.

Haven't thought of a defective reservoir cap, so I will inspect that closely. No other signs of leakage anywhere

Took a few drive cycles but I found some leak down on the lower passenger corner of the Rad. Suspect it is corrosion/hole of some kind as it appears extremely small and I'm losing about half a cup of coolant every 300-500 miles. Ordered a rad and going to pull it this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM