Terrain Response Assembly Unit Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3PDXOREGON

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience installing a new response unit themselves?

Left sunroof open and connections corroded after two weeks.....knob setting suddenly switched itself from normal setting to snow and gravel mode. Have to replace whole unit (cost $300 at dealer).

I am hoping that once the cover is removed it is a simple circuit connect. Can anyone speak to this???

Thanks,
deb

Trynian

Reaction score
Pretty simple, just pop it up, unplug the connectors, plug the new one in snap it back down.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had to change mine but I have had the whole assembly out. I find it easiest to remove the shift knob first (although you don't have to) Just pull straight up on it and it should pop off. Then the whole terrain response surround should just unclip and pop off.

LR3PDXOREGON

Reaction score
Terrain Respnse Assembly Unit

Thank you! I had a feeling I could do it myself and avoid a labor charge. Hopefully I won't screw it up somehow......

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re pulling the shift knob off ....

You can very easily hit yourself in the face pulling the shift knob off.

It is hard to pull off; requires great upward force and then suddenly lets go.

I can only presume LR did it on purpose to discourage stealing of the shift knob.

The remainder of the removal process does not require any real force but does require removal of at least one screw. The link below, while about installation of the LLAMS height controller, shows how to get access to the switch. Scroll down to page 3 of the pdf and follow step 5 to step 8; it is most helpful and well illustrated.

http://www.box.net/shared/y90mhxmire

LR3PDXOREGON

Reaction score
As always, thank you Ryan.....and thank you bbyer for the helpful illustration. I actually was hoping to tackle this project this week. Going to attempt to clean up the likely corrosion that occurred on the wiring. I was going to use a baking soda/water solution unless you gentlemen have any other suggestions.....

Be well,

deb

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water and electronics to do not get along. Instead try wd40. Good possibility the damage is already done and u may have to replace it.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that's taken apart if we can water proof some of the wiring or assembly in there.

Any thoughts?

LR3PDXOREGON

Reaction score
Terrain Respnse Assembly Unit

Ok. So, I successfully installed the new unit. A few things to comment about:

The illustrations on this thread were easy to follow and accurate. Total labor time: 1 hour. Completely worth it. Part cost $294 (available at dealer only, not available at British Atlantic for example).

Second, I wondered if I could clean up the corrosion, however, the corrosion was not where the circuits connect. It is typically in the interior of the box which cannot be taken apart (at least not without incredible skill and knowledge).

Lastly, if you have corrosion on the outside of the box that you need to clean up along with replacing the whole unit, it is best to use contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM