terrible squeeking and creaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past few months my vehicle has been making terrible creeking and squeeking sounds whenever the truck goes over a bump, down a driveway, or brakes hard. I took it to the dealer for this problem about two months ago and they told me that with all the skid plates, sliders, and armor I've got there is no way they are going to diagnose any sounds. They want me to remove my RS sliders, sump and center differ skid plates as well as the fuel tank skid before they will troubleshoot. I can't blame them, but I don't want to spend that time if I don't have too. What's strange is after I picked it up from the dealer the squeeks were completely gone so they definetly did something.

My thought is that the moving parts of the suspension need a good greasing and that all my wheeling in mud and water has caught up to it. I also hear a knocking sound when going over large bumps (mainly on the trail) that sounds awfully similiar to the bushing sounds you all have. Mine doesn't make this knocking sound consistently.

I'm reasonably sure that none of my armor is responsible for the sounds as even when I simply lock the car up and the suspension settles I hear these sounds so it seems to me it's an airbag or suspension joint issue. Is this something I can lube up myself?

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prob bushings, but it sounds like you got other things going on as well

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 has been making a knocking sound in the rear for 2 weeks now. I first noticed it the day I picked it up from having the (RS) sliders installed. It reminds me of the bushings but is slightly different. For instance, it will still "knock" when my foot is on the brake and the smallest bumps seem to make it happen. Lateral movement seems to initiate it easier than a "straight bump." Finally, it seems to happen more when the wheel extends than when it makes contact with the bump...so like on the back side of the bumping action.

I wonder what the connection is? The sliders are really tight so there is no way it's the unit itself. I wonder if they do something to the fitment of all the parts and trim under the rig to make it creak, moan and knock? Afterall, they are 140# each!

The installing shop offered to put it on the lift for me next week so we can poke around under there. Still could be a bushing...I also don't FEEL anything like I did when my front bushings went out, so that's why I'm not convinced it's a bushing.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been squeaking ever since my Dec 13 trip that was through some extreme mud. My right front, when I turn at slow speeds, creaks worse than my old bones.

I haven't crawled under it yet, but do any of the bushings have any grease zerks? If not, I guess I could just hit the bushings with a butt-load of spray penetrating oil or something.
BJ

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 has been making a knocking sound in the rear for 2 weeks now. I first noticed it the day I picked it up from having the (RS) sliders installed. It reminds me of the bushings but is slightly different. For instance, it will still "knock" when my foot is on the brake and the smallest bumps seem to make it happen. Lateral movement seems to initiate it easier than a "straight bump." Finally, it seems to happen more when the wheel extends than when it makes contact with the bump...so like on the back side of the bumping action.

I wonder what the connection is? The sliders are really tight so there is no way it's the unit itself. I wonder if they do something to the fitment of all the parts and trim under the rig to make it creak, moan and knock? Afterall, they are 140# each!

The installing shop offered to put it on the lift for me next week so we can poke around under there. Still could be a bushing...I also don't FEEL anything like I did when my front bushings went out, so that's why I'm not convinced it's a bushing.

I've read about the front sway-bar making that kinda of sound when the bushing at the frame mount went bad or got soft. Also saw a spacer that would correct the problem too. But I've not heard of any reason for a rear noise as you describe. Check your spare is all the way up?
BJ

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn it! I forgot to check that...I thought about it...but then only checked the heat shield around it. Maybe I should go check it right f'n NOW!

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey fellas, any words on diagnosing these sounds? i have been noticing a new squeaking/creaking sound from the rear driver's side over the past two months. it mainly occurs when going over speed bumps or turning down ramps in parking garages. it roughly coincides with when i put my sliders on. also, been wheelin' it more often recently. can't figure out if its due to extra mud, bad bushings, sliders, or something bad with the suspension.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a good undercarriage cleaning is in order? Are you under warranty?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My knocking sound was the rear sway bar bushing. I also had a squeaking and creaking sound that was a bad knuckle on one of the rear control arms.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo