The most uncomfortable SUV ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deschodt

Reaction score
Odd thing, maybe you can help. Back in the day we had a 2005 LR3. Used... After a couple of years of ownership it got to ride a bit rough, but at the time it was 4y old and we didn't t question it and traded it for an 07, also used. By now the 07 has 47000 miles and it had become the most uncomfortable ride in town. We notice even more since we one of us rides with the baby in the back. The front seat ride is rough on bumps and all, butvtolerable... but the rear? I've ridden in the back on donkey carts on country dirt roads and that was more comfortable. I've seen back seat passengers jump off the seat on bumps, it's Nissan xterra rough..which isn't a compliment.

Any idea what the deal is? It is an air suspension, the dealer reports no faults or codes, but each of our 2 LR3s have become donkey carts over the years... Bushings? Anything else you can think of we could investigate? I'm not questioning the overall comfort of the car, I don't need a Lexus, just wondering how after a few years, a decent ride seems to go to $hit and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong per the dealer... Puzzled!

Thanks!

Deschodt

Reaction score
tires tires tires

Really? really? Really ? ;-)

I don't know... The ride quality did not change after new tires, and those are not that old yet. It feels more like weird springs... When driving over a bump the front absorbs it partially (not as well as before but OK-"ish"), but the rear end gets catapulted into the air...or so it seems to the hapless rear passengers ;-)

It's borderline funny... I have 40y old cars that ride better than this on destroyed shocks ;-)

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my 05 in for an alignment (installed a 2" lift). They said the bushings needed replaced. HUGE difference in ride quality! I could not imagine that it would make that big of a difference, but it did.

I only have 45k miles on my 05 too . . . .

When I installed the lift, I also installed new struts (front and rear) . . .the old struts (still have in the garage) seemed to have some play (left to right,not up and down) compared to the new ones, but I did not notice a ride quality change with the new ones.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What wheels/ tires did you have? I think the LR3 rides really firm, but I like that.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the dealer also noted that some of the bolts had "seized".. . They reached all the hardware too . .

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 75k on my 05 and it still rides like a couch mounted on marshmellows.
Tire pressure maybe?? Does the ride get better in OFFROAD height?

Diesel101

Reaction score
85000 on my 06 and it rides like the day it was new.
also i run j rods and over size tires all the time.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look into bushings. I might sound stupid, but are the air springs/shocks one assembly or can one just do shocks?

Mine rides firm but the same as it always has. The Terra Grapplers seemed to smooth it out a bit.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control Arm bushings, dampers, sway bar bushings. The nicest upgrade I did was fitting Koni FSD dampers on, it improved the ride, inasmuch as it is softer on harsh terrain. Overall it is a better ride. I would say that at 100k, my dampers were probably pretty well shot. I ordered the Koni and installed new air seal kits in the air bags, clean them and lubricated treated the bags with something the shop used, that is made for it... If you want a stiffer ride, go with LR4 dampers, original ride, LR3 dampers, smoother less harsh ride go with the Koni.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635