The Snorkel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically i've read mixed answers... The first being snorkel will decrees air flow and therefor is not really helpful unless your in dust a lot. others say it helps because the air temp is cooler away from engine and actually helps the engine breath. Is there a big difference in models of snorkels? the last thing I want is to take any performance away form the gas guzzling v8. anyone care to give there options?

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing some data on temp and flow with a snorkel. I doubt were going to see any though. (someone surprise me!) :) Don't forget the "ram air" effect at high speeds...BUT the aerodynamic tax probably outweighs any gain.

What do you intend to do with the vehicle that would warrant a snorkel?

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest I like the aggressive look it gives the lr3 and if indeed it gives any + in performance that's good enough for me.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a snorkel so try not to think of it as one. It is just a "Raised air intake." The engine already draws air from out side of the engine compartment via the grill on the passenger side fender so the theory of cooler air is out the door. I don't know if it helps with the dust situation or not. Yes I too like the appearance of it but I certainly won't spend the money on it when I can put it to much better use on other mods...

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it helps with the dust situation or not....

As I understand it, the raised intake helps reduce the amount of dust and crap ingested on trail, at speed, particularly when you're following someone. The guys from ARB say that there is a greater "concentration of dust" between ground and roughly 4' (somewhat depends on how fast you're going and where you are in the caravan) and the ground . . .positioning the air intake above that helps keep you breathing cleaner air.

As far as snorkels go . . . the install has to be good because you're still entering the engine compartment from the same location as the stock intake. Had a buddy that installed one on his VehiCross . . . .after a water crossing had to yank him to the trailhead so he could be towed home . . . . he didn't do a good job sealing everything.

I have never seen any data that represents the snorkels/raised intakes as having a performance advantage. I would think it's the opposite . . . .longer path = more resistance unless you've improved the draw/pull rate (ie throttle body).

Gomie

Reaction score
I have never seen any data that represents the snorkels/raised intakes as having a performance advantage. I would think it's the opposite . . . .longer path = more resistance unless you've improved the draw/pull rate (ie throttle body).

100% agree. You are adding restriction to airflow, it can not help in normal driving.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with the Land Rover Raised Air Intake was positive. I did not see any change in mileage, but in fact, did note a small, but perceptible increase in throttle response. At a certain RPM, there was a very slight whistle of air being drawn into the intake, but unless I was holding the throttle at that position (such as going up a hill), it never lasted more than a second or two. Here in dusty SoCal, I did find that my filter was always fairly clean after large group runs to the desert. It's hard to say categorically though, as I was often the lead truck. From inside the cabin, it's virtually invisible from the driver's seat, and makes a very convenient pathway for routing wires up to the roof for lights or antennas.

I installed the snorkel because one of my very first outings in the LR3 was in surprisingly deep water and it made me cautious. That same day I saw a few other vehicles hydrolock due to water ingress. After it was installed, I realized that the snorkel drew more stares and doubletakes from passersby than a flashing strobe light advertising free beer on board. The snorkel is HIGHLY provocative. You will constantly be asked about it, and will become very conscious of all the stares from every age group and demographic possible to find on the roads. I would suggest not installing one if you are shy :)

166358667_SX86J-XL.jpg

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still caution against the use of the word "snorkel" there is a reason Land Rover only calls it a "Raised Air Intake". There is much more that needs to be done before deep water fording. This is a pic of a crossing I did in mine sans RAI. Still think they look good and provide some benefit just not as a snorkel.
DSC_5914_2.sized.jpg

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered buying one for a while, but have had good luck in deep crossings without it. I believe the airbox is "uphill" from the exterior vent, therefore providing you a few submerged seconds.

I wasn't at the deepest part in this crossing and made it no problem. I had to cross it again on the way home too. The deepest past was over my hood.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4