There's a dove on my roof!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smile:

....well, that's what I thought anyway walking to my loaner LR3 today. Perched up on the roof, looked to me to be a dove hunkered down in the cool breeze! When I got closer, I discovered this oddity...
qmxo46.jpg

...I'm guessing its the Sirius antenna or something. Never noticed on the '05s anyway. (and the loaner doesn't seem to have any different stereo controls).

Big f'n antenna though!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the PTI antenna. Since PTI was rare in '05 (very end of year for North America), you won't see it much. In 2006, it's far more common.

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it on mine.

I thought the same thing when I first looked at them in the showroom.

B

bentthomsen

It left

My wife drove into the garage in raised position and knocked off the dove. The GPS system, the bluetooth phone, and the radio still work. What does that antenna do? I called my dealer and they want in excess of $1000 to replace it!!!.

Bent

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said, it's the external antenna for the PTI... of course, you need a phone cradled to actually use it. It's a little hard to connect an antenna over Bluetooth. :D

$1000, eh?! No way the actual part costs that... any "damage"?

B

bentthomsen

The antenna was $700, the bracket less than $200 and thenn 2 hours labor. No damage since the dove was glued on. The wires just snapped. It looks like I don't need to replace it since I don't use the cradle for the phone? What does PT1 stand for?
Thanks
Bent

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personal Telephone Integration. I guess you could just get the little cap that covers the connector area if it's exposed and just live without it. My comprehensive car insurance covers silly mistakes like that without any real risk of rate increase, thankfully. :)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personal Telephone Integration? ...I'll have to look it up. I guess the car either has a cell phone in it, or I can plug mine into the system using that cradle/jack I posted a picture of earlier. Still can't figure why they have come up with such a big antenna when cell antennas seem so small.

My uneducated guess is that it combines the Sirius and cellular antenna into one? The GPS antenna must still be the nice flush mount that I have (since Bent's still works after the wife beating).

It "raises" when in use?!??! What the heck? Well...since LR still has my truck I'll have this one to play with for the weekend. Will have to see if I can get it to raise?!?

B

bentthomsen

Thanks for the help. Just so you know, my wife fumbled the "raise car" control while she was reaching for the adjacent emergency break release. Did not pay attention to warnings, etc.. She was in town and drove home real slow. Otherwise the car would have lowered to normal height. Oh well, I was nervous about the proximity of the antenna to the garage door from the word go.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PTI means you can use your "personal" cell phone with the LR3 as a very expensive speakerphone. This is via Bluebooth (somewhat limited), or physically via the few cradles available. (The "dealer" installed PTI sysetm is Bluetooth only.)

The big ugly pod fin look seems to be an industry standard. No idea why. Yes, there is probably room in there for a satellite radio antenna... but on the one I've seen removed, there is only one cable for the cradle... but that was before Sirius was orderable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM