Thinking of buying an LR3.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh....that's a good way to tell !

I guess I don't get enough ice on the windshield to really ever do that.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My two cents is that I have never owned a vehicle that gave me more personal satisfaction and just feels great to drive. We use our LR3 for ferrying the kids around (gasp). But we also use it for trips to the local Ski Hills and Lakes in the summer. I had two Jeep Grand Cherokees previously and there is no comaprison.

axg1040

Reaction score
I have been looking at the new Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee but the LR3 just seems to have more "soul".

DonA

Reaction score
Have any of you towed with the LR3? I am planning on towing a 4k lb boat and am curious as to any towing feedback.
I tow a 3500lb. boat. and it's fine. The air susp is neat in that the rear end compensates for the tongue weight so there is no sag. Also when uncoupling the trailer the susp drops down, saving a few cranks on the jack. My dad couldn't get over that :cool:

This is my first and last Land Rover, it drives great, looks great, love every aspect of it except the continued little issues and the fact that Land Rover North America reps handled all of my 6 calls to them as if this were a pre-owned Hyundai.

I had far better customer service from Subaru, (only one warranty issue ever on one of 4 cars with them) wish they made something strong enough to tow my boat.

Based on my experiences I would never own a LR3 out of warranty.

It had been behaving for the past 2 months, however this week the “Low Coolant” warning is showing up again :mad:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DonA,

Check the coolant level. I got that warning twice; once it was because of a sensor, and the other time it was because my thermostat housing was cracked. Both fixed under warranty.

What year is your LR3? I would imagine that the 2008 models are having much better reliability than earlier years. I have a 2005 and I've had the same reliability as you've described. However, I have had a little bit better luck getting LRNA to step up to the plate and take care of a valued customer.

I LOVE the vehicle like I love a sickly child. It is a pure joy, but yes...it is a high maintenance vehicle. Sometimes I wonder what the experience would be like if not for all the sensors? So yoru coolant would get low? So what? At the next service it would be topped up and you'd not ever know....that's probably what happens in a Ford. So what if your suspension has a fault? Once you stop the car and re-start it clears and you never know nothing. I guess what I'm getting at is this car probably doesn't have any more problems than others, it just "tells you about them" while others don't.

As for the ownership experience, I'm going to give it a chance. We'll see how LR does in terms of keeping me happy. I figure on owning this vehicle for another 6 years; so we'll see how I'm feeling then !

axg1040

Reaction score
I currently own an 07 Subaru Legacy GT and you are right... great customer service from the sale to service and from their customer service department. I also have an 06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (that I want to replace) that has had its share of problems but the dealer has always taken care of it timely.
Do most of you find that the LR dealer takes care of you?

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh....that's a good way to tell !

I guess I don't get enough ice on the windshield to really ever do that.

Yes, I get frost about 3 days a year :smile:

If you use the windshield to defrost on a colder morning you might see the same strips emerge...

PeterParnham

Reaction score
Reliability

We have an 06 LR3. We have had hardly any problems. The only issues have been to with "excessive" wear with tires, which were replaced, pro-rated. Now the pads at 22,500, but my wife just drives the car around town, all 5,000 lbs +, so I guess we can't be too upset. Our battery went dead, roadside came out and we had a new battery with no problems at all, quickly. Apparently the battery issue is fairly common. We love it, we have had it 2 years and people still ask us about it. Even had someone do a U-turn whilst we were at the gas station to ask questions about it. Ours is Gold colored, do not see many of them around. I have not a single regret at buying this vehicle.

lr305

Reaction score
Axg, I warried about the reliability as well when i bought mine in two years back. So far I did not have any problems except I got a transmission software update at a scheduled oil change. I live over 100 miles away from the nearest dealer. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112