Thinking of purchasing a discovery couple of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

a4play

Hello,
I read most of the threads on this forum but had a couple questions about the discovery. I want to purchase a discovery as my second vehicle for snowboarding, camping and stuff like that. I found one local to me but wasn't sure of the problems that higher mileaged discovery's have. This looks like a good deal to me but I'm not to familiar with the discovery's. Any impute from you guys is defiantly appreciated.
Thanks Brad

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...d&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=9

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad, did you try to run the VIN through CarFax? You have to pay for it, but they'll refund you if you're not satisfied with the results(get my drift?). It'd show s, the number of owners, etc. -- all things that are helpful.

That doesn't seem like an unusually high amount of miles -- it's 9 years old (almost 10), which works out to 10K a year. And if the interior is in good shape and it runs well, seems like an acceptable deal.

• Check for rust in the door jambs, and along the alpine windows (sides of the roof).
  • Any leaks of oil or other fluids?
  • Check to ensure that all the electrical parts are functional (windows, locks, alarm system, moonroofs if any, fog lights, antilock brakes).
  • Are there any warning lights lit on the dash?
  • Does the cruise control work?
  • Does the Center Differential lever move?
  • Does it engage (light on dash illuminates)?
  • Does the truck go into low range?
Others will think of other things, but that's a start. Those are some of the usual problems these things have. Also, you're looking at a 95 which is distributor and a 3.9L engine, which has its advantages over later s.

Andy

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, yes , some have problems, some don't. What year, model, and sort of owner are you considering buying from? let every-one know, and you'll find out what kind of very cool support system exists here! welcome!

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow man! Looks just like mine! LOW MILES! I paid more, and I have a lot more miles, and no lights! This one looks good, but look UNDER this unit for any damage?....be safe!

A

a4play

Thanks for all the information guys... I think i'm going to look at it this weekend and will check out all the things you guys pointed out. Since this is for sale at a dealer how low do you think they would go on the price if I had cash in hand?
Thanks again Brad

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decent price, low miles. If it switches 4L, 4H, locks and not making any terrible noises - i'd get it.

You will look at some money spending at start, most likely, about grand or less - to get few parts swapped out - O2 sensors, cats , plugs, wires, battery, filters, may be brakes and shocks. All those most likely be goners at this mileage/age, unless P/O swapped them for ya.

If its got sunroof or two - check seals. Those things leaks like leaky things.

If it hesistate at cranking up - beat seller up, do not take crap about "oh it was on the lot and that is why". Trust me - its not b/c it was on lot :) Bow down and check swivel housings (shiny metal half-balls at the front axle ends) - the shall be shiny as fat cat balls. Any scratch there - beat them up. Also pay attention if there is sign of leakage (it will leak down from the seal). Touch ball with finger, after rotating wheels left-right few times - if its dry - ask dealer to refill it with grease or oil. Check passenger side front carpet for any funky smell. Touch it - there may be some water. Check headliner - it may be sagging.
Turn on A/C on full blow, make sure it works, and check the temp gauge. You dont want things to overheat :)
Try to pull out spark plug and check it out - may get some price drops :)
Usual fluff - cracked window's trim, blah blah..
Crank it up, turn on headlights, watching tachometer.. At that age alternators (original) giving up ..

Shell damage is piece of cake, but check out for frame damage.. This one is naaaasty. Check that its still got cross member near transfer case. Some twitt may take it out, you never know.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I would offer him $4000.00 Cash ... If not then offer 5000.00 but ask for a new water pump, 02 sensors, Alternator, Fan belt.. Or just have them perform the 90K mile LR Check up (which will run you about a $1K at the dealership).
Good Luck ~ The one the only RoverChic

M

montanablur

Be patient and keep shopping around... I looked for two months before finding mine...

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the engine is cold before you start it for the first time - just to make sure it hasn't been "warmed-up" to mask any starting running/idling problems.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72