Thinking of purchasing a discovery couple of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jholewka

Reaction score
Check the carfax report. Most of the lot dealer vehicles come from car auctions, which in most cases means they have a torid history, and just fix up to get them out the door and were not well cared for. Also the lots have really no idea of the vehciles true history. When I bought my 97 Disco I must have looked at 15 vehicles in person, and about 50 online, oh yea, the carfax "unlimited" one month membership is BS, once I viewed 40 vehicle reports it stated I reached my limit....I'm sorrow, doesn't unlimited mean unlimited????? Can I help it that I don't want to drop 10 grand just like it was nothing and I am very picky? Anyway, look at alot of vehciles wear old clothes, amd a towel, to get underneath, bring a VOM test the alt chargeing with all the assy's one, look for signs of respray. When it's right you'll know having seem what's out there. I finally got mine from Maryland, had the owners meet me havf way. OK enough rambling, good luck.
Jim
92 RRC
97 Disco

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of having the dealer do the 90k service included in the price. Make sure you do try the cdl, as they've been known to sieze up. If that one is siezed, have the dealer free it up in the service. Otherwise, looks good on the computer. Now its time to look it over and drive it. :biggrin:

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Brad! I paid more for same mileage 96 w/LOTS of headaches,but it was green, my wife wanted green! I have had NO REGRETS! Would buy a dozen more just to fill my driveway! Every moment is now like a tropical adventure, w/my wife's Disco sinking deeper into the soft gravel & sand. Check everything everyone else pointed out, and also try to make sure that it's all there, without missing parts & accessories such as: Owners manual, cross bars for roof rack & jack handle,(should be in long black bag under 3 passenger rear seat), is the jack & wheel chock under the bonnet(hood, get used to it) if it has any wood trim is it all there? keyless entry pods? rust around spare tire mountings & the door "laminations". Stare @ it for a long time. Kinda ugly, huh. Keep looking @ it. True love will follow. Look @ it so long & so close that you make the dealer nervous. Nit-Pic every detail, make notes if you have to. When purchase time comes, point out the leaky PS pump hoses, cracked rubber, wood, plastic trim pieces, the tires are half wore out, and the fact that it doesn't even have the optional LR valve stem caps or CD player! (if applicable) Also, press the WB button on the radio for your latest weather forecast. Add gas, oil as needed, shake well and enjoy! LRW.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. Brad, If it has factory locking lug nut on each wheel & spare make sure they include the "Land Rover wheel lock key & work gloves" in the little plastic box. LRW.

iznof

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking here for a while and now I registered. I spent some time on the phone with this guy yesterday and he kind of seemed like a total ****. I cant decide if I shold go look at it tomorrow.......it looks like it might be a total waste of time...

outdoorfever

Reaction score
iznof said:
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking here for a while and now I registered. I spent some time on the phone with this guy yesterday and he kind of seemed like a total ****. I cant decide if I shold go look at it tomorrow.......it looks like it might be a total waste of time...

what are you speaking of?

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe maintenance nightmare

A4play, get maintenance records to whats been done thru it's life. Brake rotor condition like are you in need of new rotors all around. Sun roof tracks wear. Tie rod ends, how loose? Hose replacement alone isn't cheap. If they don't have records ask for a dealer inspection, if they say no, WALK AWAY. You can spend more than you paid for it real fast, i know as i got a 95 and must go thru the 5-speed next week. Be careful. Carl...........o&o>.............

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Brad, if the dealer is a **** then you may be able to really have some fun w/him! My favorite used car dealer is also a "****", (well actually he is an *ssh*l*) but I didn't want to use that language on such a "Ladies & Gentlemans" forum. Anyway, jerks are the funniest & I believe, easiest to manipulate group as so far as price goes. They are harder to work w/ in other areas though, such as repair of existing problems. There are many Discos out there, and most are for sale. Some are even green! Keep looking and You will find the right one. Good Luck. LRW.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72