Thinking of running the Mojave Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also on ORR, Off Road Rangers, and they're having their annual run on the Mojave Road at the begining of October.
http://www.offroadrangers.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=185733#post185733

Well, I've been thinking of running the disco on it. I've been on the trail two years ago and it was a lot of fun. Not too dificult but I'm concerned taking the disco so far and on such a long trip, about 150 miles of it are off road.

Here's a map of the run.
http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/nov/stories/photos/mpmap.gif

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to prepare for such a journey. I've got my cdl working so that's crossed of my list. I changed my plugs and was thinking of changing the wires, which is probably not necessary for the trip.

I've got to get to work on the coolant change and the tranny fluid as well. Any thing else I should do before hand? My DI has 90k on it now. It seems to run fine but I'm concerned on its reliability on this trip, from reading all the posts lately with LR issues.

I'm also thinking of throwing on a set of 245 A/T KO's on in place of the stock BFG Long Trails. Any issues with 245's rubbing on a stock setup?

I'm still not 100% sure that I will make the trip yet, trying to find someone to watch the little ones isn't always easy. Any other ideas of what to do to get her ready would be appreciated. Anyone else run the MR in their Disco? Experiences?

TIA,
Mike

Last edited:
D

discomike

Mike,
With 90 K on the truck, flush your brake fluid it will give you a better brake pedal, change your power steering fluid it will run cooler and get rid of those old plug wires, they are gone and the money you save in gas will buy you a beer afterwards.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Mike! Any other advise as far as the 245's?

M

montanablur

Have fun Monty... I did the Eastern section a few years ago... Super fun...

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I had mucho fun on it last time I went, although that was in the Ranger with 33's and a whole lot less miles on it.

Is anyone here interested in going on the run? If so, let me know and I will set it up with ORR. The original permit was for 7 vehicles but we've surpassed that, so we'll have to pony up for another permit, which is $50, split up evenly. I think two or three ways at this point.

M

montanablur

I'd love to but I'm saving for a Southern Utah Safari... Skim the North Rim of The Grand Canyon, Through Escalante National Monument, across Lake Powell, through the Dark Canyon Wilderness to the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park and ending up in Moab... No gnarly 4 wheelin' but an awful lot of dirt and remote places...

Not that I have a problem with people... I just like 'em whole lot more when they're not around.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a fun trip. Maybe Moab next year for me.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to flush your radiator, take an extra air-filter, and make sure your A/C is working to max. Take lots of water, vodka, and Irish whisky. Make sure your diffs are checked, and running synthetic might keep-em cooler....that Mojave gets HOT....even in October...have a ball!

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joseph! I've changed the fluids in the diffs. I'm going to do the t-case and if I'm lucky, I'll get the radiator flushed, tranny flushed, brake fluid and power steering fluid all changed. The a/c will be checked as well.

Any other suggestions? Nobody else want's to go?

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my only attempt at a four wheel drive trip is out the window this year. :hmpf: The wife's car was broken into the other night. Turns out that insurance is going to total it b/c all the damage done. Now I have to spend my trip money elsewhere. Thanks for all of the advice thus far!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72