Tips and hacks to get the best mpg out of your LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...BG offers 3 products to be "consumed" by the LR3. One goes into the air intake; one goes into the fuel rail and one (the 44) goes into the gas tank. I had this done, except for the can that goes in the fuel rail....because I learned it can eat up your spark plugs and I'd just changed mine. I saved the can (because I'd paid for it) of product and next time I do plugs, I'll do the fuel rail treatment too.

...and all this is good concurrent with an oil change.

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Houm. Just logged back in and noticed the questions. The 44K is what the dealer in Fife stated they use. I order it off of Amazon.

Yeah...BG offers 3 products to be "consumed" by the LR3. One goes into the air intake; one goes into the fuel rail and one (the 44) goes into the gas tank. I had this done, except for the can that goes in the fuel rail....because I learned it can eat up your spark plugs and I'd just changed mine. I saved the can (because I'd paid for it) of product and next time I do plugs, I'll do the fuel rail treatment too.

...and all this is good concurrent with an oil change.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
I heard that the tipping point for rpm is 1900 for the best mpg.. and if one goes above that rpm, fuel consumption goes up exponentially.

Also, we are in the wrong vehicle if we look to be the first car out when the signal turns green.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This topic seems pretty simple to me. Fuel might have a tiny % impact on it, but its mostly weight, and aero.

And I wouldn't recommend running at non-stock heights for long periods on normal highway driving because your alignment is off, camber, etc, tire wear.. Seems unnecessary too, a handfull of mm height change isn't going to make a big difference in handling or aero when its still a 6' tall 3 ton brick.

watch the weight, check the tires, beware of accessories... thats about it (unless you have an actual mechanical issue)

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my average on all terrain tires 265/60 /18 and winter blend premium fuel with 10% ethanol.First picture was on long trip, second normal after refueling from 27 miles trips to work and back on small town roads , NJ turnpike and spending some time in merging traffic on Newark Bay Extension bridge , each morning , before I reach Jersey city. I can add another 20 miles to that arvarage when I swap to a 19 inch summer tires from ATs One of my first summer excursions , back in 2008, I remember reading 498 to empty ,when refueling Upstate New York. Did not have an iPhone back then to take a picture, but I am switching back to a summer tires here, so will probably take another reading soon and post it as well. I find that wearing RS sliders actually helps in aerodynamics along with Mantec sump guard.Do I speed ? no , my average is 70-75 MPH , do I baby throttle...yes, I don't rush from lights, no point here really , what I do is , I put premium fuel, replace air fuel every 7-10 000 miles, spark plugs every 60 000, add BG 44K every 20 000 , check tire pressure every week and add or subtract , if necessary ,keep throttle body clean perform injection and induction cleaning with BG products, change DIFF fluids every 25000 miles and generally do preventive maintenance i every aspect of driving an LR3.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 31

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This topic seems pretty simple to me. Fuel might have a tiny % impact on it, but its mostly weight, and aero.

And I wouldn't recommend running at non-stock heights for long periods on normal highway driving because your alignment is off, camber, etc, tire wear.. Seems unnecessary too, a handfull of mm height change isn't going to make a big difference in handling or aero when its still a 6' tall 3 ton brick.

watch the weight, check the tires, beware of accessories... thats about it (unless you have an actual mechanical issue)

Agreed about running long times and aero but -20mm absolutely makes a big difference in handling specifically in body roll.

Fuel % tiny? Maybe nothing to you but some people who drive long trips will appreciate another 25 miles range. It's also better for vehicles that sit a lot as the ethanol introduces a moisture issue due to how it combines over time.

Over the long term, that's fewer times stopping which ads up over 100,000 miles to less brake wear, less fuel used, fewer engine starts.

srschick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't forget, when you put on different diameter tires (larger), all your numbers are going to be a bit skewed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo