Mystery Headlamp Bulb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chakadog

Reaction score
Atlantic British had no idea when I showed them this... so before calling the dealer I'm trying here.

Passenger-side headlights I noticed were out today. Never changed the LR4 bulbs before (although many times on the D2 — very similar access steps).

The owner manual says

Halogen headlamp (low and high beam) H7 55W
Xenon headlamp (low and high beam) D35S 35W

What I found—you'll see attached—the factory manual diagram, a pic of my 2014 housing (a little different from the manual's image), and the two bulbs I took out. The xenon is as expected.... but what the heck is that strange xmas-tree light for the high beam? The base is like nothing I've seen, nor ever seen by the Atlantic British guy I shared the same image with.

Any thoughts?

2 factory manual.png

driver's side shown in manual

3 2014 driver's side lamp unit.jpeg

this is my passenger driver's side unit—note the different location of the access port for the high-beam—a few other differences also...

4 low beam.jpeg

yep—just what one would expect

5 high beam.jpeg

but nope—this is where it starts to get funny—not an H7 socket

6 two bulbs.jpeg

D3S xenon "high/low" lamp, but what is that other "high beam"? looks like a turn-signal

This make sense to anyone? Or am I just completely missing something?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a 2014 or newer, the high and low beams are the same bulb. There is no other high beam. The 2013s and previous used two different bulbs.

I have no idea where you got the other bulb from, but it looks like a turn signal bulb.

chakadog

Reaction score
ryanjl—thanks—the "other bulb" indeed came out of location #6 in the illustration below.

I went out to the truck and, like, LOOKED at what was going on. You're absolutely right—the mystery bulb *is* the turn signal—in spite of being labeled "high-beam halogen fill headlamp" in the manual. The edition I have is labeled "2013-2015" so I guess look for the supplements, trust your own eyes first, and don't trust everything you read.

Apparently I never look at my own turn signals. :p

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 10.25.32 PM.png

So for my 2014

Manual says #2 is the "Turn-signal indicator lamp" — actually it's just an always-on running light as far as I can tell—what the manual calls "#3 "Side marker lamp (NAS only)"
Manual says #6 is the "High-beam halogen fill headlamp" — but no, that is actually the turn signal

#4. may or may not be the AFS cornering lamp location but my vehicle doesn't have this option...

Anyway thanks again, ryanji.

PS — is there literature anywhere that describes these model-year differences?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ryanjl—thanks—the "other bulb" indeed came out of location #6 in the illustration below.

I went out to the truck and, like, LOOKED at what was going on. You're absolutely right—the mystery bulb *is* the turn signal—in spite of being labeled "high-beam halogen fill headlamp" in the manual. The edition I have is labeled "2013-2015" so I guess look for the supplements, trust your own eyes first, and don't trust everything you read.

Apparently I never look at my own turn signals. :p

View attachment 24617

So for my 2014

Manual says #2 is the "Turn-signal indicator lamp" — actually it's just an always-on running light as far as I can tell—what the manual calls "#3 "Side marker lamp (NAS only)"
Manual says #6 is the "High-beam halogen fill headlamp" — but no, that is actually the turn signal

#4. may or may not be the AFS cornering lamp location but my vehicle doesn't have this option...

Anyway thanks again, ryanji.

PS — is there literature anywhere that describes these model-year differences?
This is not your headlight housing if yours is a 2014. That's a headlight housing for a 2010 to 2013.

The years on that manual are wrong for us-spec LR4s. In the US, the headlights changed for the 2014 model year.

chakadog

Reaction score
Interesting. I’ve got a 9 to 11 manual and a 12 to 14 manual. They both show the same (wrong in my case) illustration of the headlamp assembly.

Truck is definitely a 14 according to the VIN. Perhaps a late 13 build, badged as a 14?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 14 LR4s were face lifted and had the new front end and light style.

On another note, why does it seem like all the 10-13 models fitted with the HID Adaptive Xenon lights didn’t have those corner lamps/dtrls (labeled #4 on the diagram)

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 14 LR4s were face lifted and had the new front end and light style.

On another note, why does it seem like all the 10-13 models fitted with the HID Adaptive Xenon lights didn’t have those corner lamps/dtrls (labeled #4 on the diagram)

In other markets, this will turn on (continuously) at lower speeds when the turn signal is on so you can see in the direction of the turn. For example, when pulling into a driveway. The US didn't get it, sadly. Had this on a BMW once (it used the fog light so as not to violate any laws) and it is a subtle but nice touch.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other markets, this will turn on (continuously) at lower speeds when the turn signal is on so you can see in the direction of the turn. For example, when pulling into a driveway. The US didn't get it, sadly. Had this on a BMW once (it used the fog light so as not to violate any laws) and it is a subtle but nice touch.

had a 2012 5 series with these, my buddy’s old 958 cayenne with the upgraded LEDs had them and same with the new cayenne with the upgraded matrix LEDs. Wonder if there is a way to retro fit them, would be kinda cool but if there isn’t already a place to put the bulb and wiring for it then it would be hard.

The thing I’m still confused about is that I’ve seen other NAS LR4s with the halogen lights have these bulbs in place as a dtrl. Let me see if I can find a photo/video of what I’m talking about

Here:

This truck has a Jersey plate too so must have not been totally illegal yet.

Might make a separate thread about this

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax