Tips on changing Coolant Temp Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

pfb

'94 Disco 3.9 V8i.

In an effort to rectify ongoing cold-start problems, I'd like to change the coolant temp sensor.

I haven't even located it under the hood yet. Any tips on changing it out?

Thanks!

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Pretty cut and dry. If you search D-Web I posted a picture awhile back where it is located (near the top rad hose). Pull the sensor off and replace. HTH

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answer is - easy. Its right next to distributor.

Drawback - to get easy access you need to remove distributor cap, and most likely - pull out coolant upper hoose, and remove housing for thermostat...

while at it

pony up about 50$ and replace ignition modulator :) Its on back of distributor - pain in **** to get there next time. Also may replace thermostat - its about time if never been done.

Nothing else from top of me head..
also - keep handy some kind of gasket solution..

And - chances of cold start problems really be b/c of coolant temp sensor are pretty damn slim

P

pfb

Sergei said:
And - chances of cold start problems really be b/c of coolant temp sensor are pretty damn slim

My parts manager at the dealer mentioned that they do sometimes fail (and that the fuel temp sensor rarely if ever fails.

Looking at a web site to help diagnose a possible fuel ECU failure (http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/rr396.html) I ran across a checklist suggesting to always replace that sensor before taking more drastic measures, and for the $13 bucks it cost me, figuried a good bet.

So now I've located the temp sensor. I see the idle control valve discussd in the service manual, but where is the "stepper motor"?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well think of this - it is starting. It is cold. Only way cold temp sensor can send failing value - is if all the sudden has resistance dropped. However metals, when oxydating or after repeated heat/cold cycles normally would actually gain increased resistance.

Plus on cold start - ECU shouldnt give a monkey bum about values from there. It will play role when things are getting warm. Then again - if you feel like changing it - its your pain :)

Stepper motor is IAC - on your truck its on left hand side, at the rear of plenum. ********* wire bunch comes off the end of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM