Tire Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WALR3

Reaction score
Hello All,

First time posting. I have an 05 SE that needs some new tires. The LR3 will be driven primarily by my wife while I am deployed, so I am not looking for up-sizing with the fear that it may cause some un-intended problems while I am away, but on the other hand the LR3 will be mine when I get back so, I want something off-road worthy. I do live in Washington state, so wet on road traction is a factor as well. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

WALR3

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second set of Nitto Grapplers and I've been very happy with the mix for off/on road performance. When I started with these the choices were pretty limited but things move on ... I'm also one of a number of WA residents here so I understand the rain requirements.

However, consensus these days seems to be that the Cooper Zeon or Goodyear SIlent Armor are a better choice for all around use.

Try a search here for either of the tyres and you'll find lots of feedback and recommendations.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the cooper zeon and like them alot, they are about as big as you can go without any real issues, you can get the gy silent armors in a smaller size like a 260-60 and will have better on road manners and are rated as a snow tire. hankook makes a dynapro at 10 which may be a nice choice for you as well. My wife drives the LR3 daily and I take it on the trail on the weekends I bought it for her.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WALR3,

Coopers are good, but also are an "up-size" for the LR3. I run Michelin Synchrones (and live in WA) and they've been great on-road; not much for anything else.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Toyo Proxes STII for excellent performance on the stock 18" rims.

Proxes STII have a revolutionary tread pattern which is super quiet on the road, and provides superior wet weather performance. Yet it's still aggressive enough for off road use.

Speed and weight ratings match or exceed the requirements for the LR3 - cost me $700 for all 4 corners fitted

Could not be happier!

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using General Grabber HTS 275/60/18 and quite happy with it.

WALR3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great relpy's I really appreciate it. So, is 255/60/18 the size most of you guys are running?

Thanks

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much none of them are 255 60. I'd say the best tire for your purposes (and closest to stock) might be the silent armor in 265 60. it's only .5 inches bigger in diameter. Winter rated, lots of factory siping for the rain, long lasting, aggressive but not too much so. I will be getting these myself if my Michelins ever wear out.

buddaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run michelin 285/60/18 cross terrain. There great on the highway and i have run them off road quite a bit with no problems. A litle pricy though. Dont forget to allign the new ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM