Tire question part II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm likely going to replace my stock 255/50/R19 with a larger size. The 19 does not help with regard to selection but I've heard that I can obtain the Goodyear Silent Armor or MTR 265/60/R19 from a few places.

I've not found these places yet but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on doing this, any problems with scrubbing (especially in lowered suspension) or anything else.

Thanks for any advice.

-Josh

Hollywood LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm likely going to replace my stock 255/50/R19 with a larger size. The 19 does not help with regard to selection but I've heard that I can obtain the Goodyear Silent Armor or MTR 265/60/R19 from a few places.

I've not found these places yet but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on doing this, any problems with scrubbing (especially in lowered suspension) or anything else.

Thanks for any advice.

-Josh

Hey Josh ,

You will not find those tires in the USA:argh:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh,

Do you necessarily want a larger tire or just something that will wear better and be more reliable than the Goodyears in that size?

I had the Wrangler HPs that came on my HSE, and had horrible luck with them. I ruptured a sidewall offroading once, then I had uneven wear and tore through 2 of them in the year after that. Didn't get much out of them at all.

Since then, I replaced them with Michelin Synchrones and these have been great. The tread pattern is similar but they have tackled some respectablly-challenging off-road terrain and have been none the worse for wear. ...not gonna be too great in mud & snow however.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/60R19 comes our to 800MM or about 31.55 inches tall. This is about the same height as a 265/65R18 or 285/60R18. So for scrubbing and stuff, search posts on BFGs or Nitto Terra Grapplers in those respective sizes.
All of this comes down to real availablilty though.

Pardon my French, but 255/55R19 is a bastard size, and decent availablity in that size or any 19 is minimal at best.
Synchrone seems to be the best all-around choice for 19" cars.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with dave...and for my own situation, I found 18" rims and mounted Cooper Zeon LTZs on them for off-roading while retaining the services of the 19s with Synchrones for daily driving.

Hopefully taking the wheels/tires on and off doesn't become a complete pain in the neck.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully taking the wheels/tires on and off doesn't become a complete pain in the neck.

I'm hoping so, too. Now, If I can just get my hands on some 18" wheels. I'm following some leads but no one has gotten back to me yet.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me quite a while to track something down in the 18" rim size. I thought I'd be able to just grab a set off Craig's list from a P38 Rangie, but it turns out those don't work because the bore size is too small. What I did learn, although I didn't need to test this info all the way, is that the BMW X5 has the same bolt pattern and bore diameter as an LR3. So an aftermarket rim for the X5 could work for you, as long as the offset is okay. That at least gives you some used rim options.

The reason I didn't need to test the info all the way is because I got lucky and Discount Tire found a set of rims for the LR3 (aftermarket) that were discontinued and sold them to me for $70 per. They were originally $215 per ! I jumped on that deal. The offset is a bit wide and that may be why my Coopers will rub at the very limit of my turning circle (meaning the steering wheel cranked all the way) but whatever they are for offroading only and I'll just have to adapt.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra information. I have some leads on some LR3 wheels but if it falls through I'll definitely look into the aftermarket X5 wheels.

mzaver

Reaction score
Finding 18" rims that will fit the LR3 (especially if you want LR) has become a full time job for me. After getting quoted $600/rim from the dealer I will require a second job just to buy the rims/tires. I've had zero luck on ebay and craig's list....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...why do you want LR wheels? They are ugly anyway. Just go aftermarket and/or find used X5 wheels. Much cheaper...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer