Tire selections 19"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My car is about 2 years old now and it's driving a little noisier than before. Is that normal? When I drive or coast at low speed, is just noisy. Is that the tires? Can it be the brakes? I don't think so since I'm not braking. Any help is appeciated. I have stock Goodyear tires.

Should I bring my car in for a check up?

It is very likely the tires - how many miles do you have on them? Do they look worn? The GYs get noisy as they wear down (as do many tires).

-Rich

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New road tires pretty much all start off quiet. The GYs notoriously turn noisy, just like the OEM tires on Audi allroads that really make a racket and often cupped no matter what one did to prevent it. As you add miles and the tires wear, noises change and develop. New tires will likely cure your ills, some for longer and for less money than others and often with better performance than the OEM selection. How many miles and what size wheel? 18"s have many, many options now. 19"s, many fewer. Ask us if you have trouble finding the links, but they're on this and the next pages or you can simply search, IIRC. Which you choose also depends on how you use them, of course.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot about the GoodYear wranglers that came on my 2002 allroad. Absolutely the worst tires ever. Refused to stay balanced and Audis are so balance sensitive. I replaced them at 3000 miles with Michelins. Let's see if I get past 3000 miles before I dump the HSE GoodYears for 18" wheels & better tires.

jazzy_james

Reaction score
It is very likely the tires - how many miles do you have on them? Do they look worn? The GYs get noisy as they wear down (as do many tires).

-Rich

i have about 23,000 miles on my oem tires. I may bring in my car for service to have them check the cause of the noise. It's like a helicopter propeller sound at times when I coast less than 10 miles. Feels like maybe something is preventing the wheels from rolling smoothly.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with richpike. It is most likely your tires. The OE Goodyears are just crap. We replaced ours at 15k miles because they were getting really noisy. We put on Michelin Synchrones. Much better tire.

jazzy_james

Reaction score
brought it in for service and discovered the noise and vibration was due to the alignment issue which fell under a known TSB. The dealer did a free alignment to fix this problem but was not able to get me new set of tires. They reached out to their district service rep and was told they are not responsible for the tires. I will probably get new michelin tires eventually which will fix the remaining tire noise.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody - I had the pleasure of speaking to knowledgeable service rep within the Discount Tire corporate office today. While I had him on the phone, I pleaded with them to order a few thousand sets of 19″ Goodyear MTR’s. He seemed interested and was familiar with the tire and it’s merits.

This is our chance people! Everyone think happy thoughts, and maybe we’ll finally get the MTR’s on our shore!

Cheers,

Nathan Woods

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep up the good work, Nathan. I'm happy with my Cooper's but would still LOVE to have those MT/Rs. Maybe you could get his e-mail and post it on the board and then we could all flood his inbox with requests for the MT/R tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink