Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kg7734 said:
It would be interesting to see the testing logs that LR did on this vehicle, they must be short.
The advertising has it they drove the car a million or three million or some outrageous # of miles before bring it to market. I've asked my rep before, "All those miles on ice or something?, You would have thought something would have shown up on that suspension and tires with all of those miles."

J

jasbluesal

tires

I have 20,000 on my LR3 HSE. I have had my Landrover dealership rotate my tires every 7500 miles along with the oilchange. I just got a call from the dealer recommending all four wheels be aligned and four NEW tires!! Being that its an HSE, I have the 19" rims so tires are $1,420.00. I am a single mom, never drive off road, never hit any curbs etc.. The rear camber is obviously out of alignment, but just from normal driving. My issue is.. why hasn't the dealership seen this uneven wear on my previous service visits?? I have a call into Landrover Corp. and they said they will get back to me within 2 days once they do some investigating. I will keep you updated...

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue - 19k and tires shot - more so for uneven wear and loss of round, just terrible tires. Dealer price was outrageous and they wanted to put new goodyears back on. I went with another brand and didn't use the dealer -- saved lots of $ and very happy with new tires.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just over 14000 miles, probably a few thousand miles on the crapyears but that's it. What tires did you go with GMTIIFAN? Never woulda guessed I'd have to chump up for new tires on a 30,000 mile lease....

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have the Kumho Solus kh15 255-60r 18. When I was looking, not many companies made that type of tire since it's a new vehicle, but was told that there will be more options soon. I wasn't about to put goodyears back on it! I had several people recommend the Solus tires and I have been very happy with them.

SE 7

J

jasbluesal

Good news

Thanks to me educating myself from this website, I was able to complain to Landrover Corporate with some knowledge. I told them that it seems that a lot of the LR3's went out with incorrect cambor/alignment settings in early 2005 etc..

Landrover Corporate just called me to say they are going to pro-rate the tires to 50% and cover 1/2 the replacement cost. YIPPEE!! I'm definately not going with the Goodyears.. I'm going to try the Michelins..

Sometimes it pays to pitch-your-*****!!

S

san6279

Had the dealer check the alignment on Monday. They performed a complete alignment job. Still pulls to the right fairly noticably....and I'm pretty sure it is not the crown in the road.

Funny thing. Picked up the car today (service dept was closed). Upon startup, the "Check All Tire Pressures" note came up. Did check them and put a couple pounds in the back right. Alert went away. But....interesting that the dealer didn't see this when they did a test drive for the alignment job.

J

JohnnieMiami

jasbluesal said:
Thanks to me educating myself from this website, I was able to complain to Landrover Corporate with some knowledge. I told them that it seems that a lot of the LR3's went out with incorrect cambor/alignment settings in early 2005 etc..

Landrover Corporate just called me to say they are going to pro-rate the tires to 50% and cover 1/2 the replacement cost. YIPPEE!! I'm definately not going with the Goodyears.. I'm going to try the Michelins..

Sometimes it pays to pitch-your-*****!!

Do you have any contact information at Land Rover corporate? When I brought my LR3 in for it's 22,500 service I was told "these tires are in awful shape and you need them replaced". I've never been offroad and although I do put on a lot of miles a year, I shouldn't have to be paying $1500 a year for tires.

Thanks!
- Miami

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JSmith said:

Here's the kicker: they know all about LR3's tendency to wear the inner tread on the rear tires. They said "that's just how it is". But funny that a tire rotation is not on the list of maintenance procedures when they see it every 7500 miles. I did the rotation myself every 7500 miles and I guess I need to do it more.

Anyone have any recommendations for tires besides the factory Goodyears?

Wow...so wish I would have read this thread earlier. I'm on vacation now and have discovered this exact problem on my vehicle. I do look at the tires but didn't notice the wear. Had the truck in for the 22.5K service last week and they didn't say anything. Drove 500 miles and noticed yesterday my left rear tire is showing SIGNIFICANT steel belts. Its a blow hazard at this point so I had to put on my spare and hope I don't destroy that as well.

And ran into my first big LR ownership negative....since the closest dealer is 100 miles away and wouldn't be able to service it anyway (long wait) I took it to a local mechanic trusted by family. Nice guy who put it on on his machine and saw that both rear tires were way off. But, he can't allign them. His service books don't recommend any service other than LR dealer with OEM equipment. Sucks.

Great! Have a relatively minor problem, but have to take it to a LR dealer.

AND, I too was ignorant and thought that since LR covers all service for the first 50K, they would be alligningi, rotating or at the VERY LEAST inspecting my tires and alerting me of the need for any service. Every other dealer or mechanic I have worked with always gives the car a courtesy once-over and let's me know if any maintenance is coming up. My local MD dealership really misssed the mark on this one.

Not to mention, my LR service rep would not even talk to me on the phone when I called with this issue!!! AWFUL CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!! Why do I have to find out about known problems on this forum? A friendly service advisor should be able to talk to me cordially on the phone and say "...yeah, we have seen that on some LR3s, here's what the problem may be, here's what we recommend..." All I got from the dealership was no knowledge, no callbacks, and finally the Jaquar service rep offering me the LR Roadside assistance number so they could come and change the tire for me. Man, I had much better service with my previous Dodge and GMC vehicles...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax