Tire ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have an 06 Lr3 HSE with the 19" wheels

When we bought it, the previous owner had just put brand new tires on it, 255/55/19 Toyo Proxes S/T. About a week ago another car ran me up on a curb and it scratch the edge of the rim and took a chunk out of the sidewall of the tire, almost to where it hits the rim. It didnt go deep enough to show the beads or wiring in the sidewall and the tire does not leak air. Since this happened out away from the city and give the fact the spare the donut crap, should I replace the tire? I already moved it to the rear of the truck and havent had any issue with it yet.

Then my next question is, given the fact that the tires only have around 8K on them, could I just change out the one tire and keep the rest, or should I change it out in pairs?

Thanks for your help.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is hard to say what you should do but if it were me I would change the tire. I have had tires blow out at highway speeds and it is sometimes pretty scary and dangerous. Just for piece of mind I would change it out to be on the safe side. As for changing them out in pairs. I guess it depends on how much wear you have on the tire. Some guys on this forum have talked about the diameter of the tire causing the traction control to kick in (because the diameter is so different it causes the computer to think you have lost traction because one tire is making more revs than the other) but unless it is extremely worn I wouldn't think this would be a problem and would only swap out the one that needs it. Another idea would be to buy two and put them on and replace the spare with the one good one you pulled off that way you would have a full size spare for future use. Just my two cents.

Trevor

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are concerned with the difference in diameter with the purchase of just one tire, many places have tire lathes where they can shave down a new tire to match the tread depth of the others. Tire Rack does this for about $35. I have no personal experience with this so I can't comment, but just throwing it out there as an option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM