Tires for the on-road guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilredpo

Reaction score
OK, thanks for everyone's input.

After much searching by mfg and who carries what, I finally ordered the Toyo ST ii's.

Predominately due to price, since wife is looking at the new LR4's.

Treadepot.com offered (4) with UPS ground shipping for $577. I couldn't beat that for anything else. Another $100 for M&B, where can you get new good rubber for under $700?

Thanks again everyone!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the value. Still, you wanted good winter performance and instead chose based upon price and got a performance oriented tire. Not even any sipes visible on the blocks, a typical sign of an acceptable winter compromise design. Why not the more general application and conservative look of the Open Country H/T (Highway Tread) from Toyo? Was price that much different? I note that cdodkins lives in CA, and unless it's mountains with lots of snow, his STii experience may differ from yours.
Keep us posted over the coming winter months - unless wife gets that LR4, good luck with that!

lilredpo

Reaction score
Good points, but I couldn't find Open Countries in 255/60R18. Toyo's website only recommends the STii for the LR3 and lists it as an all-season. I would agree, the design is more performance than all-season, but that should help reduce the road noise. They were also recommended by a friend here in MA. Thanks again and I'll post back after the snow.

lilredpo

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Treadepot. They did have the OC's, just did not list compatability with LR3 on website. Actually, $1 cheaper.

Thnaks Mustbeaudi!

seanFLA

Reaction score
Folks

New to this site, but not new to my LR3. We have an early build LR3 and a 2006 Range Rover Sport. I came to the site looking for an answer to the tires on the LR3. After having terrible experiences with the stock Goodyears (went through two sets), I went to the Scorpion Zeros. This is after I had them put on my RRS six months prior. I was so happy with them on my RRS that I put them on the LR3 also. Unfortunately these tires are becoming very loud on the LR3 with only 12K of treadwear. I'm not sure what the issue is other than possibly the wheelbase on the LR3 is larger than that on the RRS. Other than that they are the same chasis, weight and set up for the most part. I too am thinking about putting my dealer's choice Toyos on the LR3 as I've almost given up. When I first put them on the car it rode like silk...smooth and quiet as can be. It was almost like a totally different car compared to the stock Goodyears. Still rides smooth, but now getting loud. I wish there was an answer to this issue with this LR3 as tires are breaking the bank on this car.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have Toyo Proxes and they barely show any wear after 20K. Ride smooth. Only thing is you need to keep them balanced because they are a directional tire. Next go round we will be using the cooper zeon LTZ's, supposedly they work great on the LR3.
Folks

New to this site, but not new to my LR3. We have an early build LR3 and a 2006 Range Rover Sport. I came to the site looking for an answer to the tires on the LR3. After having terrible experiences with the stock Goodyears (went through two sets), I went to the Scorpion Zeros. This is after I had them put on my RRS six months prior. I was so happy with them on my RRS that I put them on the LR3 also. Unfortunately these tires are becoming very loud on the LR3 with only 12K of treadwear. I'm not sure what the issue is other than possibly the wheelbase on the LR3 is larger than that on the RRS. Other than that they are the same chasis, weight and set up for the most part. I too am thinking about putting my dealer's choice Toyos on the LR3 as I've almost given up. When I first put them on the car it rode like silk...smooth and quiet as can be. It was almost like a totally different car compared to the stock Goodyears. Still rides smooth, but now getting loud. I wish there was an answer to this issue with this LR3 as tires are breaking the bank on this car.

lilredpo

Reaction score
Having the Toyo Open Country H/T's on for about a month, I have to say they are queit on dry payment and have handled the snow and ice that we've had very well. Extremely happy with them so far.

And all in they were about $650.

seanFLA

Reaction score
we have Toyo Proxes and they barely show any wear after 20K. Ride smooth. Only thing is you need to keep them balanced because they are a directional tire. Next go round we will be using the cooper zeon LTZ's, supposedly they work great on the LR3.

Nick...Do you notice any increased noise at 20K with your Toyos? This is my wife's LR3 so it hardly goes off road except for the occcasional beach or mountain use. Being in Florida I don't worry much about the snow as much as I do the heavy rain storms we get. The rain here can be every much as dangerous as the snow (I grew up in the snowbelt). I may ask my dealer for a reference on one of his other LR3 customers who uses his Toyos that may have 20K-30K miles on them. I have Bridgestone Duellers now on my RRS which I was talked into trying (after my Scorps hit 32K). After the fact I found out they were run-flats...uggh...harder ride and much louder. I will never put those Bridgestones on my RRS again. I have a lot of people in my RRS forum talkin up those Coopers you mentioned.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sean,

If you are looking for outstanding wet weather performance, I would also look at the Yokohama A\T-S. They have the best wet/dry grip and hydroplane resistance of any truck tire, all-season or AT, I have experienced. They are also quiter and smoother that the OE GY Wranglers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9