Tires that can still run chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDXLR3

Reaction score
Well I picked up a set of LR3 18" wheels to mount a set of tires to run in the winter. I was all set to get a pair of the coopers and then read that you cant run chains on them for lack of clearance. Where I live we have some short but very steep hills that I have always needed chains to get up when it snows a lot as well as when we have much ice. Also when going up to the mountain skiing, I have been required to have chains on (only once but now I know it can happen). Anyway I have read that you can run chains up to a 265-60-18 (30.5") but am wondering if they would go on a 275-60-18 (31"). Or is there a way to run them on the coopers? What if I raise the ride height all the way up? I really only drive this one on pavement. Thanks for the help or any suggestions.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you don't go offroad? Then why not just keep the 19s and run chains on the stock tires? Or get some Coopers for camping and other off-pavement stuff and use chains on your stock setup when it snows?

I may have a set of Coopers for sale soon. My Zeons have about 2000 miles on them. Since you're in Portland I could practically deliver them to you. We may have to meet in Centralia or something but it would be an easy exchange (I'm in Seattle).

What will you do with your 19" rims?

PDXLR3

Reaction score
Going to keep the 19's and run them in the summer. The stockers are needing replaced and there is a better selection of winter tires in the 18" size, and I can run them all winter going up to the mountain and back on the weekends. In reality I only have to chain up a couple times a year but I do have to have ability to do it. In the 19" there were just not that many options for a winter tire and with their price, I was able to get a great deal on some stock 18's and will put a good winter tire on them. I will put some new tires on the 19s this spring and run them. I would have just stayed with them but I want a good winter tire that I can chain up only when I have to.
I am considering the Blizzaks or the GY SilentArmors in a 265/60/18 at the moment. I will run down to Les Schwabs later and see what they have or recommend.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...where did you find 18" rims?

I have some, but I'd sell them and get LR rims if I had the chance. The offset is messing me up.

PDXLR3

Reaction score
Sent you a PM.

I am trying to decide between the Toyo Observes, Blizzaks, and Silent Armours. Anyone have opinions on the three?? All available in a 265-60-18. I just saw the Observes in Les Schwabs and they raved about them in the snow and rain. They are a soft, sipped tire.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my plow guy who dose my office will only run the SA HE says they are awsome

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the Nokians are fantastic too. I think Roverman just picked up a set - perhaps he'll chime in on his experience.

Thanks,
Rich

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did get the Nokians this year. I also had them (still do, with 16" rims if anybody needs em) on an old P38 as well. I love em. I'd recommend them, but if you can use chains - like we can't here in Michigan, maybe you'd be just as well served getting a year 'round tire like the silent armors and putting the chains on when you need to. As sure footed as they are, I'm sure chains are still better - especially on glare ice. Rating the tires I've had on the LR3 so far
HPs: 1
Michelin Cross Terrain: 3
Nokian: 8
(where chains would be a 10)

PDXLR3

Reaction score
The chains I have been running are ones that I got from Les Schwab tires here in Oregon, they are branded as Les Schwab but are manufactured by Laclede Chain Manufacturing Co. out of Vancouver washington I believe. That is what it says at the bottom of the instructions. I got a slight size up, their part number on the tag is 2324-s. They are not heavy duty chains but go on and come off very easily as well as performed great. I put them on at their tightest settings and never had a problem.

I just ordered the Goodyear Silent Armours and will get them on today so hope to report back that they are great. Nearly everyone I read about and everyone I talked to really liked these tires and they seem to give me what I need. I would have loved the Nokians but I think these will be a better choice overall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM