Traction/Stability control on snow and ice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have driven our LR4 through some of the worst snowstorms on our way to skiing in VT. There was one snowstorm that was so intense, everyone except us and an Audi gave up and got off the road. Snow mode does a fantastic job of keeping revs low and momentum going.

However, I give lots of credit to Nokian winter tires as well. Not for traction from a start, but for providing cornering and braking on slippery roads. It's all about keeping the heavy LR4 going in the direction you want.

If you don't want to buy winter tires, then at least buy Nokian WRG3 tires.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in Maine, I encounter many significant snow storms over the course of a normal winter.
I actually prefer sand mode to snow mode. Snow mode works great when you are moving, but sucks to stop/start with.
The sand mode actually allows a bit more controlled tire spin. Which in turn allows for the snow tire to dig in a get to firmer ground for progression. In snow mode the vehicle always wants to stop the wheel spin.
While moving the snow and sand mode operate in the same way with balancing DSC, TC, ABS and the diff locks.

I run Blizzaks DM-V2 snows, and the tires by far make the greatest difference (any snow tire for that matter). I've used my Cooper Zeon LTZ's (They are snow and ice rated)...once in the snow (too lazy to change over ;)), that was enough to appreciate what a difference dedicated snow tires make.

VernB

Reaction score
Specifically, how does the LR4 do in "typical" crummy weather suburban/country driving? Slippery roads, stop signs, corners, etc. Our X6 maintains composure quite well and I have to turn off the DSC to have "fun". How does the LR4 handle "stupid" actions like accelerating in a low traction corner or braking on ice? Does it stay straight/on track or get sideways?

I have proper all weather (not all season) Nokian WR 3 SUV tires and have passed snow plows that were stuck on a steep hill in a foot of snow with terrain response set correctly and driving sensibly the traction control light on my 2011 LR4 with HD package did not cone on once. The Hill Descent mode is brilliant in snow going down hill too.

If you drive like a bone head I’m sure you could break traction but you would have to really try hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VernB, typically I'm the "go to" guy in in climate weather. Due primarily to the LR4s ability to navigate, safely, in bad weather. Living in Maine I am exposed to it all. I have pulled a few "beached wales" (stuck snow plows) out of various predicaments. Including a full size city plow last year. He (My LR4 is a dude, too reliable and not finicky at all [emoji6]) does better than my x5 did. I have driven a few other luxury SUV and the only others I would compare the TC to is maybe the Q7.
The X5 was OK, but not excellent. Then again tire selection is everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VernB

Reaction score
VernB, typically I'm the "go to" guy in in climate weather. Due primarily to the LR4s ability to navigate, safely, in bad weather. Living in Maine I am exposed to it all. I have pulled a few "beached wales" (stuck snow plows) out of various predicaments. Including a full size city plow last year. He (My LR4 is a dude, too reliable and not finicky at all [emoji6]) does better than my x5 did. I have driven a few other luxury SUV and the only others I would compare the TC to is maybe the Q7.
The X5 was OK, but not excellent. Then again tire selection is everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same for me and agree tires are vital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 stability control is more "loose" than most systems. It will allow the rear end to step out which I find to be beneficial compared to my Honda's system which shuts down the party much sooner. This allows for more momentum in truly bad conditions. The system will not allow the vehicle t get completely bent out of shape. With snow tires the LR4 is an absolute mountain goat in awful urban conditions. Best winter vehicle I have had. I prefer running terrain response in normal as it makes the rig easier to toss around. Snow mode does it's job though by limiting throttle input and smoothing everything out. It may even launch the vehicle in 2nd from a full stop. It works too, just boring.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 stability control is more "loose" than most systems. It will allow the rear end to step out which I find to be beneficial compared to my Honda's system which shuts down the party much sooner. This allows for more momentum in truly bad conditions. The system will not allow the vehicle t get completely bent out of shape. With snow tires the LR4 is an absolute mountain goat in awful urban conditions. Best winter vehicle I have had. I prefer running terrain response in normal as it makes the rig easier to toss around. Snow mode does it's job though by limiting throttle input and smoothing everything out. It may even launch the vehicle in 2nd from a full stop. It works too, just boring.

I mostly agree with this ^.. but my Infiniti G35x (rear bias AWD) with snow tires seems more capable in most winter conditions.. other than where ground clearance would matter. Due to weight and also the balance of the G35 sedan and its awd system is fantastic (can split 50/50 and has LSD rear).

I do love to see all the diffs lock up on the LR4 though from a stop. It really scoots.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
With Michelin studless ice and snows on last winter, I was able to drive pretty much anywhere during 2 multi-day ice storms in Portland. there was definitely the opportunity to slide, but with careful driving and anticipating off-camber roadways my 2012 was very controllable, a whole lot easier than walking was w/o crampons on.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this ^.. but my Infiniti G35x (rear bias AWD) with snow tires seems more capable in most winter conditions.. other than where ground clearance would matter. Due to weight and also the balance of the G35 sedan and its awd system is fantastic (can split 50/50 and has LSD rear).

I do love to see all the diffs lock up on the LR4 though from a stop. It really scoots.

Absolutely. Until clearance becomes a problem an AWD car will have an advantage over a SUV with a high center of gravity. I find with a car I have a much better feel for the road than the LR4. The car that had the best feel for treacherous roads was my old Pontiac G8 GT. With its 400HP and RWD it just couldn't go anywhere lol. Hell of a donut machine though, even on dry pavement.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM