Trailer Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenmonster

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a few LR Questions,

first, is the LR3 prewired for trailer wiring, including trailer brakes?

I know you need to buy the harness, but i can find no info on weather it is wired under the dash for an electronic trailer brake device.

Are there any other options vice the expensive LR hitch receiver?

Thanks
Andrew

DonA

Reaction score
Not sure on the brake controller, but I did install the LR Harness, was very easy.

My trailer has surge brakes and the LR3 is prewired for the reverse lockout for that.

If you have LED lights on your trailer it can be a problem. When I plugged my boat trailer into the LR3 the trailer tail lights would strobe/flash even with the key out of ignition.

LRNA’s official response on the issue “The LR3 was not designed to work with trailers with LED lights” I changed mine out for incandescent.

Have not seen any other options for the receiver other than the LR option. To be honest it makes me nervous the way the receiver hooks up. I find myself checking 3 & 4 times to make sure its “in” properly before I head down the road. A strange design that seems like it could be a little more substantial.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the brake controller, but I did install the LR Harness, was very easy.
Hi Don,

Any instructions on how to wire the LR Harness? It seems like the wiring is already in the back (in the driver side compartment in the rear), but I haven't seen any instructions so I've been hesitant.

Thanks,
Rich

greenmonster

Reaction score
I actually just got back from the land rover dealership..... one of the tech's talked with me for an hour or so and found a tsb. the LR3 is pre-wired for trailer brake controllers. you just need a ford harness adapter. so tomorrow i will tackle it and see if the ford part works.

Andrew

pm_mcdlr3

Reaction score
brake controller wiring location

if you run you hand up under the steering column, on the drivers side there will be a wiring harness cable tied to the column. you can tug on it a break the cable tie and you have access to the ford type connection.
Amazon.com: Brake Control Harness: Sports & Outdoors
this one fits

Last edited by a moderator:

piarjr

Reaction score
Yeah, I got a LED trailer, and lights flick, but, the blinkers and everything works fine, the trailer has electric breaks, and I got a Prodigy break controller, with Ford connector, it works perfect

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112