Transmission Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auburn92

Reaction score
Ok, the wife left the sun roof open Christmas eve and we had a heavy rain that night. I vacuumed the water out and the carpets, seats center consoles etc. Now at first I got all kinds of fault messages. Now I'm getting the transmission fault and the transmission wouldn't move from park. However, I let it sit a while and now I still get the transmission fault but can shift the lever. The problem is presumably with the transmission sensors/wires. My question is am I f%$^ed, or do you guys think I can let it sit and continue to dry out and it will be okay?

Thanks,

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you know what caused the problem is.

You are OK, time will put all back right.

I expect that the door sill wiring bundles are also wet and these need to be dried as well. As such remove the door sill plastic on both sides and get some electric fans and start air circulation to speed up the drying process.

The problem may not be so much the rain than came in thru the sun roof opening but the water that collected in the surround channels and was funnelled into the sun roof hose drains. These can be partly plugged and hence fill the wiring harness channels under the door sills.

Auburn92

Reaction score
Yea I already removed and dried out under the carpets and around the wiring harness. The sun roof wasn't vented, it was open like a convertible. The fault still hasn't cleared yet, i'm gonna disconnect the battery and see if that works.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard Reset you mean?

By disconnecting the battery, you I presume mean a Hard Reset as below.

One wonders about wading creeks and steams etc, water splashing over the bonnet per all the stories when a mere sprinkle virtually shuts the electronics down and take the vehicle with it.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.) Also when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) You will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully no or fewer warning lights.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure.
http://www.**************/forum/topic19547.html

Replace the ***** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.
http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3374

Auburn92

Reaction score
Did the hard reset, still getting the transmission fault (F) and all special programs are off and says limited gears available. Still can't get the transmission out of park.

I also don't have the emergency release to get the LR3 out of park. I only have the parking break lever.

Any other ideas

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There definitely is a shift lever release.

The instructions with sort of pictures re the manual shift lever release latch are in the Automatic Transmission section on page 176 of the Owners Handbook.

The instructions/pictures may be for the RHD version but regardless, there is a release and it is on the right side of the shift lever independent of where the steering wheel is.

For LHD, (USA spec), remove the concave rubber cup glasses holder to the right of shift lever; then unsnap / remove the plastic holding strip under the rubber and with a single finger feel forward for a white plastic lever.

When you feel the lever, (hard to actually see it,) tip the lever upwards. The Shift Lever will then release when the button on top is pushed as usual. Note that your 3 may also roll forward or backward if it is on a slope and out of Park so be prepared.

Last edited:

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You most likely need to replace the terrain response switch. There are other stories on this forum of sunroofs being left open and that was the cure. The switch unit is a normally stocked part and is available from a number of sources. A spilt beverage will do the same thing.

The console is pretty easy to take apart. The shift knob is removed by pulling it upward sharply. Keep one hand on top and don't put face over it. Post if you have any questions.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's rain water that got into the center console, you might be ale to get away with just drying it all thoroughly. Follow kwlr3's instructions regarding disassembling the center console, and then use a hair dryer or such to remove all the moisture.

Diesel101

Reaction score
Did the same thing last year and i had to replace terrain response switch plus every other switch under the consul. about 900.00.

Auburn92

Reaction score
I'll try to open the console this weekend, let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM