Transmission replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monitro

Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 HSE with 76,000 just had the tranny go MIA. I started it up, put it in drive, gave it gas and got all of 3 ft and the whole car died. Put it in park, started it again and put it in drive and all I can do is rev the engine in drive, same for reverse. I tried command shift and no dice, low range, etc, nothing. Had it flatbed transported to the nearest dealer and they said diagnostics say its "internal to the transmission" and the word they got back from LR is replace the transmission ($7500). Just looking for a sanity check here. I asked about rebuilding it and the dealer said that is not allowed per LR. It's in great shape and showed no signs of tranny trouble prior to this. I'm guessing I'm SOL but thought I would see what others have dealt with.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
send it to get rebuilt to zf north american less expensive and somewhere in the east coast. or get a used one.

monitro

Reaction score
Talked to the dealer again and asked what the price of his tranny was (out of the $7500), $5500. I asked what that got me and he said a reconditioned unit from the maker of the transmission and a 12mo warranty. I said the RLParts price was $3000 with a six month warranty and asked if he could come closer to that. No way but would be happy to use that part, even said he knows they can't compete with RLParts prices so clearly he has experience with them. Looks like $2500 back in my pocket, thanks for the advice!!!! The downside to this is not knowing what failed and since I do tow a trailer from time to time it would be nice to know if that played a part and I need to get a truck.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is the brake lights.

The link below is to my gallery on disco3. In it are two sections that may be worth looking at. One is on the ZF 6HP26 tranny that you have; the other is on the brake light switch and circuit.

A defective brake light switch or defective non LR brake light bulbs have been known to display and act like transmission trouble. This has resulted in new tranny installs and still nothing works.

Also displayed sometimes is HDC not working and Cruise Control not Available when you have brake switch problems.

There are instances of Land Rover doing a change out on warranty, then discovering the owner has installed non LR brake light bulbs and you do not get your 3 back until you pay for the tranny that was not needed.

The fact you have no reverse, nothing at all, suggests to me it may not be the tranny but something in the computers.

Substitute disco3 co uk with periods int between for the ***** below in the link. Blocking and all you know.

http://www.**************/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bbyer I thought the brake pedal issue (and bulb issue) did not result in any physical symptoms? Just lights...and maybe a lowered suspension and no TR.

I know that in my case that was true. This poster is talking about giving it throttle (in gear) and going nowhere. Sounds way different than the brake thing...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are correct but ...

The problem is that the codes generated have been sufficiently convincing that the dealers have installed trannys when the solution was otherwise. GM is having a problem with rubbing and cutting of the signal conductors in the control cable between the gearshift selector and the Allison yielding no go and their computer diagnostics saying new tranny. $3,000 is a reasonable price for a rebuilt if it incorporates the ZF upgrades and somehow I doubt the tranny is toast - too new so to speak for a mechanical problem but electrical, very possible.

Five years ago, the 6 speed was a leading edge design, but now it is the 8 speed. As such, shops are starting to now know how to fix/rebuild the six speed units; hence the 3 grand number is what I would call more reasonable - and then there still is the remove and install cost, as well as I think flashing the replacement tranny to your 3. That is a question to answer as everyone may still be standing around even after the install.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about transmissions, but if the LR3 has a flex plate in the trans like the P38 does, it's possible to not have any forward and reverse gears at all, DAMHIK. Was there a loud 'clunk' when it went? I'm not saying that bbyer may not be right, but just that it's possible to blow it out completely.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had multiple cars with similar, or the same ZF transmission. I have had one fail and it did not fail like this at all. It progressively got slower and slower going in to drive. It was a second or two delay at first. . .then got much longer over many weeks it not months of driving. Finally, it started happening in reverse as well.

The ZF 6HP26 is used in many vehicles and is a solid piece. Strange that it would fail like that. Audis and Porshce Boxsters have used this transmission in various models. It is not a reported common problem.

monitro

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.

I'll give a little more detail on what the fail mode was in my case. In all driving conditions I have been in the tranny has performed perfectly. I tend to drive aggressively both in town and on the highway usually in sport mode. I had driven about 20 miles into town and ran into Home Depot for less than 5 minutes. Started the engine, put it in drive, gave it gas and it did pull forward but not more than about 3 to 5ft. All of a sudden all power was lost, engine died, ****** to a stop with slight tire chirp, and if I remember correctly about all of the warning lights came on in the cluster. No other sounds, popping, cracking or bad feedback through the wheel or pedals. Moved the shifter into park, shut the igntion off and pulled the key. Started over, key in, start up, move shifter into drive and give it gas and the engine revved up no movement forward. Moved shifter to reverse, revved engine and no movement, back to drive and into command shift, tried selecting both +/- but saw that the computer was cycling through the gears 1-6 on its own and after 6 went to "F". Got the typical info on fails in the info center. While waiting for my wife to pick me up I even tried disconnecting the negative on the battery, same result. I also tried putting it in low range and going through the same process with the same result. The shifter felt the same as well and I could move it freely as always. In order to get it back into a parking spot I was able to put it in neutral and push it, and putting it into park locked the wheels from moving again.

I'll let those that know this tranny better than me debate if this is a catastrophic failure or a computer made problem. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112