truck locks up while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blownf150

Reaction score
have an issue with my 95 d1 drive it fine for two thre months around town take it off road and every time on the way home somthing will just lock up truck almost goes out of control then goes away lasts about ten seconds and has only done this twice and im not a real big fan of it either looked over everything the first time nothing noticebly broke or worn not tbox whine no gear whine abs is disconected and full of all fluids and even checked the diffs luckily i was towing a trailer last time with my big d1 on it and my brother in law was driving the other that locked up so i just swaped them out and finished the trip home

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to sound like a pain, and I am no English major by a long shot... but that is one long sentence.

What do you mean by it locks up? And this only happens after off-roading?

blownf150

Reaction score
Sorry about that yes it only happens after offroading. The thing is it does'nt make a sound while off road only on the way home.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean "locks up"? It won't move? All the doors lock? The steering wheel locks? One wheel locks? Be specific.

blownf150

Reaction score
Feels as if somthing in the drivetrain. Driving along then just locks up. Causing the truck to almost lose control. Then it just goes away and will not happen till the next off road trip.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I presume that during off road ventures that you are using the Diff lock correct? Any chance you did not get it to fully disengage?

If drive line is locking up only after off roading it has to be something you do during off road trips... i.e. diff lock or low range. So I would start by inspecting the shifter and the linkage.

toecutter

Reaction score
this is just a thought , but i had a caliper bolt broken.when i would go in reverse the truck would lock up ,mostly when there was mud on the inside of the rim.being that these are allwheel drive it would lock up all wheels.it could be that or you may have something wrong or broken in the e-brake drum,that locks it up for a second ,then breaks loose.
maybe this could help maybe not....

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say, but my money's on the transfer case diff ass'y.

the sorry part is how do you check w/o pulling it?

I agree w/toecutter tho' problems with the parking brake could cause rear wheels to lock (easier to check)

luck,greg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge