Tune up observation: Wires/Anti-freeze etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I

incawarrior

All,

This past weekend I took it upon myself to do a general maintenance to prep vehicle for winter.

Oil change with lower 10/40 vs 20/50 I used here in Hotlanta. Used a spiffy anti-drain K/N oil filter.

Spark Plug Wires. The original equipment wires were old and appeard to be getting crusty where they would crumble. I searched for Magnacore in Atlanta but went with the Taylor from Barnett Performance at Downtown Atlanta. The set went for ~$65.00 in stock. These wires rock...

Anti-freeze. Drained and replaced old fluid dumping it in my backyard. :biggrin: J/K.

My main observation was the amount of crud stuck between the radiator and the AC condensor. I loosend the brackets in my attempt to replace front main seal. The crud consisted of dead bugs, fine grasses and other stuff. It was unbelievable. :hmpf: I stuck my hand between radiators and proceeded to pull this mess out, and use compressed air to blow the rest of it out.

:help:
I could not for the life of me get the bolt loose to replace the FMS. I used a 24mm impact socket with air gun and sucker would not break loose. :frown:
I left this alone and seeking wisdom from somebody who's done this before. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Alex

D

discomike

Depending on what your mileage is and how hard you push your truck;
brake fluid change
power steering fluid change
diffs and t/case fluids changed
Transmission fluids changed
engine induction cleaning for carborn build up
Feels great when it is all done.
Mike J.

C

campbell

How difficult is it to do a power steering fluid change? What are the steps involved?

D

discomike

Easiest way is to suck out the old fluid from the resivor and ad new oil, start the engine, let it run or a few seconds and remove the old oil again. Usuallt after 2 or 3 times you will have removed most of the old fluid and your set for another 30K.
Mike J.

I

incawarrior

PS or if its leaking just top off regularly. :)

The rest is on my list for this weekend. :tongue:

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fluid changes, why?

Discomike, you stated fluid changes like power steering, hell the hoses will fail with fluid loss long before the fluid becomes oxidized. Hose replacement with fluid top off then engine and undercarriage wash down until the next hose or engine leak. Replace, wash, repeat, replace, wash, repeat, on and on.

D

discomike

Rover pumps and gear units will become noisey and fail quickly with lack of fluid changes. What is $6.00 or $8.00 worth of fluid if it will prevent a pump failure.
I love it when people come in the shop and I get to sell them parts they wouldn't have had to buy if they had just maintained there trucks.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo