type of gas you all are using on your disco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mge_1

i am sure everyone here has an input. well here in nj as probably all around the country the prices of gas is going up once again. i have been putting super (93 octane) in my 00 disco II. i just want to see if anyone else in here switched to the mid grade (89 octane) and have any results to share. i guess my real question is will the 89 octane gas mess anything up? get back at me folks. any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

D

dragonhead

Some might scream, but I've been using 87 in my 96 D1 with no apparent issues arising (3000 mi. so far - KOW). My brother is a mechanic and he insists that although higher octane is technically better for the valvetrain, the lower grade fuel shouldn't damage the engine. The LR's history is a concern for me though, so I go easy on the throttle.

M

mge_1

i wish our 00 disco II takes regular. but for sure it needs super. everytime i put anything else it does something wierd.

for example. i put regular one time and the motor started to wiggle so much the bolts that connects the manifold to the mid pipes where all lose and got alot of exhaust leaks lol.

Kestreljr

Reaction score
I am no mechanic, but as a LR owner I guess we all are to some degree... and from personal experience I wouldn't use it. The guy at British imports in ATL told me that the cylinders have minimal clearance anyway on these LR engines and the lower octane gas doesn't give it that spark, and more importantly the flush it needs to remain clean, resulting in crap building up in there.

Now some mechanic is going to denounce everything I just said...

F

fbrems

Most performance engines with cylinder head compression above 9 do not run on low octane.
Using a low octane fuel could lead to serious engine damage. In Africa we used what is available, so we changed the ignition timing to avoid "knocking" but I do not advise that if it is not necessary.
The Disco manual recommends 98 or above. First symptoms of using a low octane is the motor holding in while acceleration during that point the ignition (flash point) of the fuel is not in line with piston position and stresses the crankshaft and bearings reducing the engine life time. Of course if you drive constantly in the right lane (except if you live in the UK or SA) do not pull a trailer or go off-roading I assume low octane is not an issue but why driving a Landrover than.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that these engines have higher than normal internal combustion chamber temperatures due to lean fuel mapping through the midrange. The use of anything but premium will cause the knock sensor to ****** timing which will in turn increase combustion chamber temperatures even further. The consequence is cracking of the block in the area between the water jackets and cylinders.

M

mge_1

I will always put 93 from now on. My disco gets mad when I put anything less. LOL!

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
98 disco and octane- another gas question

(First let me say that the manual says to use 91 octane)
I have put 93 (dont have 91 anywere) octane since I got it - since prices are going through the roof ... again!! (I heard posibly 5 bucks soon) I decided to try 89 - runs just fine
anyone else?

98 Disco I
67k stock

L

llesra

ive always used 91 which is the highest octane we get in colorado.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is coming back up again... I always use the highest grade of fuel I can purchase i.e. 91, 92 or 93.

When I feel like saving money on Fuel, I park the rover and drive my car...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink