ugh. I'm a marine mechanic this is nonsense.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawng

Reaction score
Ok payed 500 for 04 DII it needed a motor. Payed 1200 for 4.6 with around 100,000 miles on it. My car has 105000 on it. When I put the motor in. It started throwing tons of miss fire codes. Multi miss and random miss. Maf and O2 b2s1. Changed plugs and wires nothing happend . When I changed the O2 with a old bad o2 all codes went away except the O2 code. Bought a new bad 02 put it in same code. It was bad. I found out by swapping the up stream o2s . So now I have bad O2 on b1s1. So I got a new O2 put it in. Mil off. 50 miles later mil on. Now it's p0130 and p0441. Something is going on. Got to be easy fix. Oh and I now have a valve taping on passenger side. Any guesses on that also. It only does it when it gets to opp temp and is spontaneous. But very noticeable.

Last edited:

Shawng

Reaction score
Ok I payed for the other 3 O2s they will be here Friday. Wish me luck.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Best of luck... I would also look at the MAF sensor make sure it is clean.. makes sure the air box is sealed all the way around, plug and wires were changed I hope...

Shawng

Reaction score
Yes plugs and wires were. Put the O2s in. No change.maf is clean.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A slipped liner will normally just cause a tick at idle. When then slip (unless overheated badly) it is just a millimeter or so.

It also normally does not cause codes.

And your two codes sound more like the air pumps... did your old engine have the air pump on start up and the new one not have it? Sorry bad headache, but there are engines that have an air pump for emissions and others that do not... my 02 had them but many didn't, it all depends on how it was built... you may need a Land Rover test system computer to turn the feature off..

Shawng

Reaction score
A slipped liner will normally just cause a tick at idle. When then slip (unless overheated badly) it is just a millimeter or so.

It also normally does not cause codes.

And your two codes sound more like the air pumps... did your old engine have the air pump on start up and the new one not have it? Sorry bad headache, but there are engines that have an air pump for emissions and others that do not... my 02 had them but many didn't, it all depends on how it was built... you may need a Land Rover test system computer to turn the feature off..
Yes it does have the secondary air. Guess I should be looking for leaks. Can I use propane to find leaks. Or should I use something else. I was at the local junkyard today and was able to grab a couple of the purge valve solenoid. Just in case. The tapping it's intermittent it only does it when it's warm at operating temperature and it's not all the time at idle.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Secondary air is only for start up, but it could cause the codes in question... finding a used secondary air pump isn't too hard. I would check to make sure it is working on startup. Mine used to make all kinds of noise on start up, but still worked.

Shawng

Reaction score
Yes the air pump turns on and makes a high pitch fan sound.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Running20c