update on whining noise + SRS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ayavner

Hi all,

I tried Sergei's technique with the steel rod to the ear, and best i can tell this noise comes from the ACE pump... when i am listening to it, i can clearly hear the fluid swishing thru it, and it sounds a bit like one of those rock tumbling devices.... not real bad, but noticeable - can anyone here with ACE duplicate this and tell me if its normal? You don't really hear the grinding noise unless listening with the steel rod.

2nd thing, is today I noticed my SRS light come on and stay on. As far as I know, it may have been on for months, cuz it is right behind the steering wheel where i put my hand. Anyone seen this, and have advice? I don't really want to take it to the dealer if i can avoid it.

Thanks all....

Adam

PS 2001 disco se7 w ace.

D

discomike

So Adam,
How many miles on your truck, have you ever serviced your ACE?? Some Ace pumps have been none to be a little noisey, alot of them get noisey when they are not serviced.
The SRS light will have to be checked by a mechanic with a text book so he can read the codes.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually SRS can also be read with autologic or rovacom. Not sure if reset can be done, but i have sneaking suspicion that it can ... I am currently trying to convince Santa to get me rovacom-lite with SRS and engine modules :)

sydeem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 D2 that lights up the SRS every now and then. I used to take it in and they would say it is this belt or that that might not have retracted just right. They would reset the light and send me off. Now I just let it go and sooner or later it goes off by it self.

Probably not a good idea because SRS is important and something may really be wrong one of these times but living 75 miles from the nearest dealer makes me treat most problems casually.

A

ayavner

actually, that makes sense, cuz it came on right after we had the seats folded away for more space... i bet i had a seatbelt kinda half pulled in or something.

re the ACE pump, what do you mean by "serviced"? Anyone ever done this? you talking about replacing fluid, or do you mean a rebuild kit? Can the fluid be replaced by a mere mortal? (i have the shop manual, will update)

adam

D

discomike

Adam,
You should be changing the fluid and the filter for the second time, for me it would be the third time since I do it every 20,000 miles. The ACE unit reallt burns the fluid and can cause it to be less effective and usualy more noisey. Don't know where you're located by if you want to try and make it happy find some synthetic power steering fluid and some Lucas power steering additive, should make a world of a difference especially if the filter has never been changed.
Good luck,
Mike J.

A

ayavner

The fluid does look kinda darkish... can you recommend a good procedure? The shop manual mainly says to put the car on a "pad" (?) and use the testbook to bleed. How do you go about changing the fluid/filter? I am in Dallas, TX... i am not sure I trust either of the local dealers, and prefer to do my own work if at all possible. Thanks again,

adam

D

discomike

Adam,
It is easy to do and easier to tell you over the phone
Mike J.
805-9675418

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members