Updated GPS $248.95!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone..it has been a couple of months..was it worth it? Any new tricks to the GPS? Anything mentionable? I am interested in doing it as i use mine at least 5 times a week. I have been convinced now that it is normal for dealerships to charge for an update to a device that "came" with the vehicle which i still do not agree with but i have no other choice but to accept. So is it truly worth it and if you have the time...why?

BushRover

Reaction score
Lexman34 -
It all depends on a couple of things.
- if your the kind of person that needs to have the latest then do it.
- the places you are traveling to, if they are local and you have a lot of construction going on with new roads, neighborhoods, etc. then it might be worth it but chances are the new one still wont be able to keep up with all of the changes. If they are long distance - I would say no cause the highways and main roads will always be there.

I would say save the 250 bucks buy a nice smartphone with GPS, like an iPhone or Android, where gps is standard and always have the updated maps for free.

Just my opinion.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question..thanks for the reply but i could not ascertain if you actually have the update..if so...then that's a damn good opinion in my eye! I was hoping something that would make me go wow but i guess that is a dream. The GPS in these vehicle leaves alot to be desired and i was hoping they made some changes but your 2 reasons makes alot of sense.

Last edited:

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GPS Update

Lexman34 -
It all depends on a couple of things.
- if your the kind of person that needs to have the latest then do it.
- the places you are traveling to, if they are local and you have a lot of construction going on with new roads, neighborhoods, etc. then it might be worth it but chances are the new one still wont be able to keep up with all of the changes. If they are long distance - I would say no cause the highways and main roads will always be there.

I would say save the 250 bucks buy a nice smartphone with GPS, like an iPhone or Android, where gps is standard and always have the updated maps for free.

Just my opinion.

Question..thanks for the reply but i could not ascertain if you actually have the update..if so...then that's a damn good opinion in my eye! I was hoping something that would make me go wow but i guess that is a dream. The GPS in these vehicle leaves alot to be desired and i was hoping they made some changes but your 2 reasons makes alot of sense.

BushRover

Reaction score
No did not do the update but did the update on my wife's car and it wasn't great - meaning same graphics and what not just new roads are in it but with all the new developments popping up in the area it is already out of date so I use my phone most of the time - you could even go to costco and pick up a portable nab system for 150 bucks and get free lifetime map updates but I would get new phone out of it :)

Good luck!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No did not do the update but did the update on my wife's car and it wasn't great - meaning same graphics and what not just new roads are in it but with all the new developments popping up in the area it is already out of date so I use my phone most of the time - you could even go to costco and pick up a portable nab system for 150 bucks and get free lifetime map updates but I would get new phone out of it :)

Good luck!

That settles it for me. I was hoping it would have enhanced the user-interaction experience..but sadly not the case. I will slide the $270 towards accessories like light guards or something. They look pretty cool. Thanks for your insight.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 2012 loaner last week. I like the user interface a lot as it is more updated and more user friendly. The navigation however is still usnig the same old maps that I have in my 2011. I would not spend the money on an update. If you have an iphone, get the telenav GPS plus app. great nav app for 99c and updates maps everytime you start it.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 2012 loaner last week. I like the user interface a lot as it is more updated and more user friendly. The navigation however is still usnig the same old maps that I have in my 2011. I would not spend the money on an update. If you have an iphone, get the telenav GPS plus app. great nav app for 99c and updates maps everytime you start it.

I believe the 2012 Models have a new software and the map update will not mimic what the 2012 have. I own a 2010 and the NAV leaves alot to be desired. I have adapted to it and i can move around pretty well on it but it is ancient. I was hoping the update enhanced it but it does not. You are right about the other options via cell phone apps..etc but i want to see it on my dashbaord not looking down into my Iphone. :)

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea of using a portable GPS or smartphone in a vehicle with a factory nav gives me the mental image of the little TV sitting on top of the big, broken 1970's console TV. :biggrin:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea of using a portable GPS or smartphone in a vehicle with a factory nav gives me the mental image of the little TV sitting on top of the big, broken 1970's console TV. :biggrin:

I agree. esp since we paid close to 60k for our vehicles. I use the factory Nav, but I always confirm with my phone. Usually it is accurate where I live.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM