Urgent...burst coolant line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today driving the LR3 I noticed the fan seemed to louder than normal and coming on more often. Temp was normal. Brought it home, took it out again and pulling into the garage, it started smoking and I shut it down (temp needle was up more than normal), waited a few mins (fire extinguisher out) and popped the hood open and coolant was everywhere. Took the engine cover off and found this:
utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTMuanBn.jpg

Closer:
utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTAuanBn.jpg

And the bits up close:
utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzA1NTIuanBn.jpg

Also the heat didn't work this morning either...always did.
What is that piece? Is it some sort of pressure fail safe?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I went out and took a look at my 05 - it's a one piece hose. It's possible that yours was repaired at some point in the past. From the looks of it you could get a barbed connector and repair it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...that's interesting. I was thinking about doing that to get by for a day till it goes into the shop Tuesday for another repair.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The broken piece is the coolant bleeder valve. As you will note, the cap is made out of metal while the rest of the part is made out of a nice plastic that becomes brittle with time and heat. Mine cracked last year and I cobbled some pieces together from the local big box hardware store to make a completely brass bleeder valve.

In the mean time, you can take the body of a ball point pen and use it to connect the two hose pieces. Credit for that trick goes to somebody else.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic tee is available from your local dealer,cheap and easy fix.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put in a brass splice and some hose clamps in. Let it run the driveway for about 40 mins or so, took 1/2 hour to get up to temp, heat still didn't work. After 40 mins, it seemed to overheat and shut down, but yet the needle was still at halfway. I'm thinking something is plugged up and the temp sensor is in a spot where the coolant it reads is normal temp. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty good link re bleeder valve Tee.

The link below is to a pretty good discussion re the bleeder valve tee.
Land Rover sells the plastic tee separate now; the hose assembly part number is LR006158 but you can purchase just the valve tee by itself now from Land Rover.
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread...Bleeder-Valve-OEM-replacement-necessary/page2

You kind of need the tee bit as that bleeds air out of the system and you most likely have an air lock right now. Also turn on both front and rear, (if you have both), heaters so as to encourage circulation. Also if the temps go up, shut down and wait - it can take hours to get the air out but your aluminum engine block is what suffers first; then your wallet.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...took it into the shop a day early, air lock. And he's ordering the part to replace the brass one.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part # LR027661, Plastic Tee only

I found my link re the part number of the Tee piece only. The Land Rover part number is LR027661 where the 0 is a zero.

The link below is to a pdf of the cooling system hoses. In the top right, is the Tee and hose assembly.

http://www.**************/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3801&pos=14

Replace the **** with disco3 co uk and insert a period in each of the two spaces.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed it...inline brass splice. Bled it too, works great now. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9