used car hunt...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at vehicles for a few weeks now. We have mainly been looking at Jeep Commanders, but I have also been considering Ford Expeditions, Lincoln Navigators, GMC Yukons, and LR3s. I'm not an off-roader (yet). Basically, I wanted to get something with three rows of seats that could do some decent towing (at least 7,000lbs). We (wife and I) have been leaning very (almost exclusively) toward the Jeep Commander...

We went out comparing vehicles tonight. I mostly wanted to get an idea of the roominess of the interior (I'm 6'2") and the comfort of the seats of the vehicles we were comparing. I went to one dealership and sat in a Fod Expedition and a Commander. The Expedition was super roomy and quite comfortable. I really don't like the looks of the car though! I sat in every seat in the Commander. I fit in every seat. It's not winning any comfort awards, but I thought it was fine.

However, the evening took a surprising turn when I decided to drop by the local Land Rover dealership. I went to just sit in an LR3 and compare it to the Commander. I had actually never been in (let alone driven) a Land Rover. The LR3 was more roomy that the Commander, especially in the third row seats. The salesman was super helpful and very pleasant--I had been complaining about used car salesman at the previous dealership. Anyway, he gave us a quick tour of some of the features of the car and I was already pretty impressed at this point. After that, he turned on the car and showed us the air suspension--even more impressive! After that, he took my wife and I on their small off-road course at the dealership. We went up and down a pretty steep rock hill, went over some contorting bumps (I forgot what they are really called), and then across a 37-degree incline. I was super impressed at this point. It had the 4x4 graphical display on the nav screen that showed you which tires were on the ground and some other useful information, I thought that was pretty cool. I was not only impressed with the vehicle, but I was also impressed with the attention we were receiving. There was somebody else there buying a $100k Range Rover, but we were just there looking at 2005-2006 LR3s, and they were very attentive, patient, and informative. After the off-road the salesman showed me some tight-cornering going about 30-mph, I was still impressed. After that he let us take it out on the freeway. Until this point I hadn't seriously considered the LR3, but I was very impressed. I will definitely be doing some more research tonight. The LR3 is definitely going to be tough competition!

There are three main worries that I have. I would appreciate any feedback on these items:

1. The price of parts. The parts are coming from the UK, right? With the dollar so weak vs. the euro, does this make parts super expensive?

2. The frequency of maintenance. I've read in some random forums and pages that Land Rover tires and breaks need replaces more frequently than other vehicles. Is this true? Are there other high maintenance costs?

3. The big one here. Almost everywhere I read wars about Land Rover reliability. Should I be afraid to purchase a Land Rover?

P.S. I asked the salesman about reliability quite a bit. He said that they get that question a lot, but he says that it mostly because of the way that they (JD Power & Assoc, for example) do their polling. He was telling me that Land Rover makes far less vehicles than many of the other popular makes of vehicles, so the numbers get skewed. I know he's a salesman, obviously, so he's not going to tell me that the cars are unreliable. He also said it has to do with the fact that the car is very high tech and a lot of things--even very minor things--are monitored my the computer and can set off the "check engine" light.

We are going to look at more Commanders and LR3s tomorrow. I'm not considering anything else at this point. After just that small off-road course, I think it's something I could definitely get into!

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way... we are looking at 2005-2006 vehicles with about 45,000 miles max. Not looking spend much more than $20k.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'5" so I share your enthusiasm for the space this vehicle offers. In fact it's the only vehicle I've ever owned where I don't drive with the seat as far back as it can go.

LR3 is not the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, but requires no more maintenance than my Ford's required (all 2000+ model years). The plus side of the LR is that when I go to my dealer I get a superior experience to any other. I don't have to wait long, I always have a very nice rental waiting for me, and the customer service is top notch. This makes a big difference to me. It's a pain point to bring your car in for service, this lessens that pain.

That being said, I've had two issues with my vehicle and both were fixed promptly and at no cost to me. Bother are also common on my year ('06). The first was an overheating compressor which was replaced with a newer model to avoid this known issue, the second was the sunroof leak.

I wouldn't go buying a first year production of any vehicle so if you can help it, stay away from the 05 as it surely has more problems than most. '06's seem to be the most commonly available on the used market when I check. It seems to me after 06 they really got the kinks worked out on this vehicle. That being said I personally chose not to spend the extra money for an 07+ as I bought a certified car with a 75k warranty and figured anything that went wrong, I could just get fixed. VERY little changes year after year in these cars so as long as you have a warranty, you're good to go.

As far as maintenance goes, the tires the truck comes with are expensive and won't win any awards from anyone on this board. Myself, like most people here and hopefully yourself, choose to offroad our superbly capable machines; ergo we have off road tires. I chose the popular Cooper Zeon's which cost less than half what the factory tires cost ($700/set installed at most). I hear people get 40k miles on these. I have 20 and they don't even look close to 50% warn.

It's a heavy truck and goes through brakes as quickly as you'd suspect. No faster than my F150 did. I replaced all my brake pads with EBC Green Stuff pads for about $250 installed at a local shop. That seems fair for a $60k vehicle.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Sushi-man's feedback is spot-on.

I will add this, if you really think that you are going to take it off-road, then get the LR3. It is indeed a little higher maintenance, but also higher performance. To me, it's worth it. The car has a lot of nuances that you have to get used to, but once you're off-road and heading down a 40 degree decline and creep down under full control, you'll smile as your heart starts returning to a normal beat...and you'll be glad you are driving a Rover.

I've had my share of issues with my LR3, but they've all been resolved, and I LOVE it. Every time I take it off-road I fall more in love with it.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately, with my price range, I think even the 2006 would be a stretch. Right now I am looking at some 2005 LR3 SEs with the V8 and about 40-43k miles. With the Jeeps I am looking at 2006 (which is also the first year of production for the Commander) with around 35-40k miles for about the same price--maybe a little less. I guess if I go with either vehicle, I'm stuck with the first-year of production for that model :(

We drove an HSE at the dealership.. as far as I can tell the SEs are the same as far as the ride and the off-road capabilities. Is that correct? I'm having a hard time finding the exact differences between the two.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously I won't be getting anything under warranty. The dealer did mention something about a one-year warranty for $1400 or something like that... *if* we get a certified one from the Land Rover dealership.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) is probably going to cost a bit more up front, but be worth it, because it gives you a bit more time to have the little things fixed that you might notice in the first year or two of ownership. These are not appliances like Toyotas, but they are actually really quite reliable in all the major ways, and they are very well built in interior fit and finish. They ride fantastic, turn on a dime, fit just about anywhere, and are cavernous inside, and far more luxurious in feel than any Ford or Jeep product. And more importantly, you can do this in them:

Image Gallery:
http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Land-Rover/Misc/Journeys/9363670_njKtT#626684988_GSZhs

626688190_yaBAQ-XL.jpg

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beantmt, if you can find an '06 LR3 that still has even a few months of Land Rover warranty left you can purchase Ford's ESP extended warranty for 1/3 of the cost. As long as the factory warranty hasn't expired, you can get the Ford ESP. I got a 3 year extended warranty through them that was 1/3 the price Land Rover wanted for 1 year. I've used the Ford ESP warranty to replace a few parts already. Do a search on here for Ford ESP. Thought this may help you.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beantmt, if you can find an '06 LR3 that still has even a few months of Land Rover warranty left you can purchase Ford's ESP extended warranty for 1/3 of the cost. As long as the factory warranty hasn't expired, you can get the Ford ESP. I got a 3 year extended warranty through them that was 1/3 the price Land Rover wanted for 1 year. I've used the Ford ESP warranty to replace a few parts already. Do a search on here for Ford ESP. Thought this may help you.

Ooh, thanks for the info! Is this true even though Ford no longer owns Land Rover?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, ford sells for other marques, there's an online discounter. HSE has more features, same ride and mechanicals. CPO is now only 1 year and limited coverage, not worth 1400 when 3000 gets 3 years better coverage. Remember LR3 had 4/50 factory coverage w/ free maint during that period, so you could find a late 05 still >30 days under 4/50 and then buy ford plan.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge