Used Dealer Short Changing on Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWire

Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to get your quick opinion on something. I bought a 2007 Land Rover LR3 about two months ago. The car is amazing and I am very happy with it except for one thing. Before I test drove the car, the dealer told me that the fuel gauge was broken (it showed no fuel despite just being filled) and it would be fixed before the sale of the care. I took it to my third party mechanic who just said that make sure that I got it written on the contract that he would take care of the issue, which I did. I expressed my concern to the dealer that I did not want a band aid fix and that I wanted to make sure that the issue would be taken care of and he reassured me that he would. The mechanic dropped the tank and replaced the sensors and the problem was fixed. Or so I thought.

Fast forward to today and the gauge has gotten increasingly inaccurate. Now the gauge is limited to half and three quarters of a tank, regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank (I could be on fumes and it would still show half a tank left). I called the dealer and he said he would get in contact with his mechanic and get back to me. Two days passed with no word, so I just called him back this morning and he said that I could deal directly with him. I said as long as I had his blessing to finally fix the issue, I would be fine with that. He said, "well we fixed the issue at bill of sale, so it would be on the mechanic to make good on the repair." I told him that wasnt really the case since the problem wasnt actually fixed. I think he took the cheap way out and now is trying to get out of any more costly repairs that would actually be involved with rectifying the issue (which I have heard could involve installing a completely new fuel tank). How should I go about handling this issue?

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long was the fix guaranteed for? I would try to talk to the mechanic like srschick suggests.