Valve Jobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
How much does one typically cost? Non dealer of course ;)

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pull the heads, and take them to a high-quality machine shop, with all technical data referencing Lan rover's specs, and ASK what they recommend to obtain maximum performance, you will end-up with the heads you deserve. The cost will range from $800.00 to $2,000.00 for both heads, (considering what you have done), and I'm sure that someone at the shop will agree to install them correctly for a small fee. Over-all, you will get away with spending around $ a grand to do the stock job, non-dealer, if you do some of the prep and finish work yourself. You could buy a set of fresh heads (your heads are taken for a discounted core charge) and you still have to find someone to install, and set them up, and torque them to spec. If you want to take a little time, go to your local high-school auto-shop, and make a deal with the teacher to do the job as a classroom project (these guys are slow, but very careful) and the job might only cost a few hundred bucks, but might take a month. There are a few options for you....let us know what you decide! Did someone run cheap gas in it? Later and best of success to you, Anthony

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what a independent shop might charge if I let them do it start to finish?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Mike,

That damned ticking is not going away and its ******* me off. When I pulled the oil pan everything looked super clean.

It has been suggested that I may only need new lifters or simply get them adjusted?

I'm going to head out to the indpendent rover guy today and see what he says.

Justin

C

campbell

I had what sounded like a ticking noise that turned out to be the gasket from the manifold to the downpipe. Replaced it myself and noise went away. I found it by cutting a 3' section of garden hose and listening to the running engine while moving the garden hose around.

D

discomike

Justin,
Take a deep breath.
By the way, the lifters are not adjustable, new lifters or a flat spot on a lobe???
Let me know what you find.
Mike

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
So I just talked to the local rover shop, its the lifters. He quoted me $500 to fix it:p But I can buy them for around a $100 new...turns out my friend is a licensed mechanic so he can get cheap parts to restore his cars.

So, how hard is this project? Can I do it?

The Rover shop said that most likely what has happend is since the fellow before me ran penzoil it left all thos deposists in the motor, what I found in the oil pan / pickup tube is just half of the battle. All that gunk has built up in the lifters as well.

So yea...

I love Rovers

Justin

Last edited:
D

discomike

Justin,
So try something before you panic, drain of a couple of quarts of oil and replace it with ATF, let it idle for 20 or 30 minutes and seeif they quiet down. We used to do that with Audi's when their lifters took a **** and it usually worked.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin, don't take it out on the poor truck -- blame the prior owner...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72