Valve Jobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJMYERZ, by about 60,000 miles the stock Rover cams shot as well as the lifters, this happens on well maintained vehicles also. The gradual wear is not noticed over the long run in performance. Plastic tooth timing chains, another Rover idea is trash also. Edelbrock true roller timing set for V-6 Olds will fit. I don't have the old box at the moment for part number, sorry. Replace the cam with a Piper cam thru RPI they are great, last forever and will pass smog, depending on choice of cam that is. On valves Rovers been doing a patch job like grooves cut in the stem to grind off carbon to prevent valve sticking hence burnt valve. This is another crock of s**t repair by Rover. They changed the exhaust valve three times in one year. Yankie designed motor, Yankie know how to repair. For a full valve job, minor port work and head surfaces milled cost me $845 three years ago. Carl...........o&o>........................

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really glad it isn't valves....Disco-Mike's remedy is truly one to try! you might not have to spend anything but more good times in your Rover!

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar ticking in my engine. Almost certain it is the lifters. I don't think that sounds like an easy job. Not too difficult, but it would require a full weekend's work for me, never having worked on a Rover engine. And probably then some. I'm always getting started on a project and then finding out I don't have everything I need...or there's more items that need replaced.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your never done repairing a Rover

Jeff Discos, your girlfriend sound like my wife when it's about the Rover. She knows the check engine light will go on, just not when. She said it stays off if we don't start it dear. I must keep "Rupert" and her away from big cliffs, pitty she said if "Rupert" fell off. With a restriction in the stepper motor feed hose about once a month she will restart it hot with the AC on and idle will be 550 rpm, this sets code # 48 off, (stepper motor). I installed a switch under the dash for easy (frequent) resets. She likes the new light thats on now, ABS.
One good thing, the rear windows work all the time instead of only 10%, bad solder joints on the rear window ECU. Carl...........o&o>.....................

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, running atf in the engine and letting it idle is supposed to clean the carbon deposits? I've never heard of that before.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
So what exactly is onvolved with fixing this problem? I'm going to go down to the local exhaust shop and use their sniffer to see if exhuast manifold is the culprit, would be my luck too as EVERY car I have ever bought developed a lovely exhaust leak within a short time of owning it. HA, actually I really hope thats it so I can have a even four cars with the same M.O.

D

discomike

Mike,
ATFhas a very high detergent levels and it will cut the laquer and varnish real fast with out hurting any seals. Some people use diesel fuel also, but that's not my favorite.
Justin, I'll call you tomorrow.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72