Vandalized keyed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Acuwar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my rig was vandalized yesterday " keyed " :mad: driver side passenger door
spoke with a detail and custom paint company
both had recommended to repaint . any recomendations
or have tried to use a touch up paint ?

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty deep gouge on my rig near my driver side quater panel. I tried to use touch up paint and it looks like crap now.. Maybe it was just me...in my experience, touch up is only good for rock chips or small dings..not lines..

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well before you repaint you should go wheel the **** out of your rig. Bust up some brush and hit some tight trails you'd never dream of doing otherwise. Body damage? Who cares that can't cost that much more.....

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a professional shop do some touch-up on the edge of my door where some paint had been chipped off, and it looks pretty bad. It's not very noticeable because it's right on the end edge of the door. But I agree with the guys here; touch-up paint just really isn't that good. I use some touch-up pens for rock chips, and even then to me it's questionable if it looks any better than the rock chip. It does make the blemish harder to find, I guess. But anyway, I definitely don't think you'd be happy with touch-up paint. Of course, you could try it first if you *really* want to, right? I don't think it would matter if they are going to repaint.

Out of curiosity, what will your insurance cover?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How deep is the scratch? You might be able to buff it out with a high-speed buffing wheel. I have always wanted one, but they aren't real cheap. I have seen one work on scratches tho. Some rubbing compound and buff away. Obviously, make sure the surface is clean first. Sorry, that's got to be frustrating. Often times it's jealousy that causes someone to do this.

J.D.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well before you repaint you should go wheel the **** out of your rig. Bust up some brush and hit some tight trails you'd never dream of doing otherwise. Body damage? Who cares that can't cost that much more.....

That's totally what I would do to it. I second that.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recomend a tuch up pen.I tried it on my hood and door panels,but quicly realised that this procedure looks even worst than dings itself , when finished, so i just wiped everything off before it dried to avoid complete dissapoiontment.
I got keyed also,during my divorce,not by my soon to be ex-wife, no, but by my ex - wife's friend.Scratched from tail light to headlight.Went to paint shop,got quoted 650$ for painting the whole side.Car was leased at that time and i really did not wanted to follow extra expanses, but had no choice anyway.IMO , scratch like this is not worth to buff off,simply because it is usually too deep.It is meant to appear this way by the person, who makes it happen.This buffing thing usually burns clear coat and this fix is short lived.I would not worry about it now, if I was you.I would just scratched the bejeses out of it and than paint before resell.:bandit:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my rig was vandalized yesterday " keyed " :mad: driver side passenger door
spoke with a detail and custom paint company
both had recommended to repaint . any recomendations
or have tried to use a touch up paint ?

I haven't followed this method my self but if done right touch should look good. what you do is put the paint on and allow it to cure slightly then take a clean towel/rag moisted with mineral spirits or paint thinner or what have you and lightly wipe the surface to remove the build-up. I have seen the before and after during this method and it looked really good. Usually takes a couple of applications. Not sure I would try on a long scratch though, just rock chips....If anyone is interested the full details of this method have been written up in a tech tip by Bavarian Autosport (Aftermarket BMW supplier) may be able to find it on thier website....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think touch-up paint should really be used with an expectation of it looking "good." Rather, it should be used to cover bare metal in the event of a rock chip. to prevent rust mostly and also so that it doesn't look like complete ****. To expect it to look perfect is folly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635