Velar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, though, I don't get how this model is differentiated enough from the RRS or Disco 5 to exist.

It's like they are an automotive Cézanne, trying several subtle variations of the same theme hoping that eventually one will stick.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all are doing it. BMW has so many X's, I can't tell the difference anymore between an X4 and X6, an X1 and X3, an X3 and X5. I lost track of how many GL-something Mercedes churns out these days, they all look pretty much the same to me as well, except the real deal (the G.)

Everyone needs a couple of fast looking crossovers (at least) these days, as long as they sell like cupcakes, why not? Alfa, Maserati, Jaguar only have one, but that's because they are late to the party. They will probably add more.

I bet Jaguar dealers must be pretty ****** about the Velar, though.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, BMW is pretty straightforward. X3 is a mini X5 (traditional boxy style). X4 is a mini X6 (fast back slanted roofline). X1 is really its own bastardized vehicle that has the X-Drive drivetrain on tiny chassis. More car than a SUV.

They are talking about an X7 in the future to compete in the large SUV market (Yukon XL, etc).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BMW is bordering on ridiculous, but hey, what do I know. I have already seen camo shots of the X2, a coupe version of the X1 which will look like a mini-me X4. And the X8, a coupe version of the X7 that doesn't even exist yet, is a strong possibility in the near future. :confused:

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all adding more models to each segment. For example with Mercedes, you can have various flavors of car/truck in size small, medium, large and XL

A Class
Sedan: Not sold here
Sedan "Coupe": CLA250
SUV: GLA
SUV "coupe": GLA Coupe

C Class
Sedan: C400
Coupe: C300 Coupe
SUV: GLC
SUV "coupe": GLC Coupe

E Class
Sedan: E400
Coupe: E400 Coupe
SUV: GLE (formerly ML)
SUV "coupe": GLE Coupe

E Class
Sedan: S550
Coupe: S550 Coupe
Sedan "Coupe": CLS550 (should be called CLE since it is an E-class platform)
SUV: GLS (formerly just GL since it was supposed to have replaced the original Gelandewagon)

MB started the hyper-narrow segmenting with common platforms with the CLS years ago, and BMW with the X6. They have now copied each other and added more, and IMO are the worst with this. JLR is following suit. So is Porsche.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will admit, it is a beautiful truck... but I can't help but think this and the new LR5 are tripping over a similar market segment. The new LR5 seems far more road / luxury oriented, which is exactly what the Velar is. What is more staggering to me is the prices. For a fully loaded out Velar, you could have a base model full fat Range Rover cheaper. Crazy.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are Discovery Sports out there over $63,000! I just can't imagine having $60,000+ to go car shopping and ending up with a Discovery Sport. LR must be making a killing on "options" these days.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think of this as a truck, lol. If I can easily sit my coffee cup on the roof while standing at 5'11" then I would say it's a nice little compact SUV.

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM