Very intermittent problem - Smart Key Not Found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So one of the most frightening features(to me) of my 13 LR4 is this stupid radio key with no mechanical way of starting the car. Seriously, I am dreading the day it manages to no longer communicate between the key and the start module and then I'm stuck wherever I am. I bought the car in October and i have had exactly one instance of 'Smart Key Not Found' when trying to start. A second later, it found itself and I was on my way. Last night, it did the same thing. I relocated the key from my left pocket to my right, it magically reappeared and the car started. I know sometimes, the keyless entry module dies or malfunctions and then it costs 2837365 dollars to order a new one, reprogram, etc. I have been staying on top of replacing the batteries in the fob periodically and not keeping it near my phone, etc. Has anyone else had issues with theirs? Or is this not a common failure point? I miss a traditional key and an ignition cylinder....

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, you can buy your own keyfob for around $70 and program it using either the GAP tool or the Atlantic British iLand tool. Those tools are indispensable to a LR4 owner, so you should probably have one anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FF5Z1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second, if your key fob ever does not work, you can still enter your car by prying off the rearward part of the door handle (the part that remains stationary when you open the door), then insert the key out of the keyfob. You can start the LR4 by pressing the keyfob under the steering column, then hitting the start button.

But to address your main problem, I've found that the LR4 has some weak receptors or something. My keyfob hasn't really ever given me any issues, but my bluetooth audio can have some issues if I have my phone in my left pocket.

Maybe your keyfob is dirty inside? Slide off the chrome part and have a look. To me, it seems like the keyfob uses the emergency key as part of its antennae system? Maybe slide out that emergency key and clean the inside of the metal bracket so it makes a better contact?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second, if your key fob ever does not work, you can still enter your car by prying off the rearward part of the door handle (the part that remains stationary when you open the door), then insert the key out of the keyfob. You can start the LR4 by pressing the keyfob under the steering column, then hitting the start button

NOTE: What is described above (and also shown in the owner's manual), only works with original fobs, or dealer-purchased fobs. If you buy used ones from eBay (or new aftermarket) and reprogram them with the GAP/iLand tool, and the battery goes dead in the fob, the procedure above (hold the fob under the steering column) allegedly does not work. I have not yet tried this after reprogramming a mint-condition eBay fob.

Related note... JLR does not sell metal key blade blanks, and VIN-cut metal blades are $70+ at the dealer. I picked up a couple of cheap eBay blanks and need to bring them to a local locksmith who said they would copy to my blanks for ~$25ea. Stay tuned for how that turns out.

Can't help with the original issue of the truck not "seeing" a good fob - sorry! Haven't had that issue, yet

Last edited:

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cell phone is a pretty good Faraday shield and so will often block the key signal. Once blocked I find that usually I have to use the 'key under the steering column' trick (as described in the owners manual) to start the engine, and then all gets back to working normally.

Having a 2011 LR4, 2013 RRS, and 2015 Evoque I've experimented a fair bit with all the various ways to get the "smartkey not found" error, and always putting the key under the steering column gets me up and running (even with completely dead keyfob battery).

Red Landie

Reaction score
I carry the Smart Key in my left pants pocket. Every so often when I try to start the SUV, I get a message stating that the Smart Key cannot be located. I wait a few seconds, and then the message disappears after the electronic key fob is found and authenticated. At that point the vehicle starts normally. This has been occurring intermittently since I bought the LR4 back in 2010. It's a minor nuisance, nothing more. Another quirk of that particular model, I guess.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my keyfob battery yesterday to see if it would make a difference, but I too get the "Smart Key Not Found" more often than I'd like in my '11. I'd love to get a remote starter but I don't want another key fob to carry around.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, good to know. Both times I've gotten the error, the key has been in my left pant pocket. Maybe there is a dead zone in that area somewhere. Stupid electronics. I remember reading about the keyless module having to be replaced(every damn thing in this truck has a module). Good to know you can reprogram fobs with an IID tool.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few things, as I will sometimes get this error.

First, to start your car, do you even need a battery in the remote? Maybe that's why the steering column fix works. Your key fob is not always transmitting a signal. It only does this when you push a button. So, change your batteries, but they should last a while. The keys have ID reflectors in them. The LR4 emits a signal and sees if any valid Key IDs get bounced back. The LR4 is likely not emitting all the time either, it just does it when you push the start button, grab a door handle, try to open a hatch, etc.

Second, there is a known problem with the KVM system that may report the Smart Key Not Found when it really is not an issue. If you are still under OEM or extended warranty, have a dealer check it out. I just did this and they said my firmware was out of date, so they upgraded it and we'll see if that fixes my issue.

Third, I was actually getting the "Smart Key Battery Low" error even after changing the battery. I don't know why. The dealer said you have to lock/unlock the vehicle a couple times after you change a battery to reset the system. I also keep a spare key fob in a faraday envelope that I bought off amazon. It's in the car should I need a spare... I don't think it's a very good envelope* so I think that somehow contributed to the error (even though that contradicts my theory #1, above). I took it out of the envelope and wrapped it in tinfoil instead, and I stopped getting frequent errors.

Anyway, those are my guesses. Hope something in their helps.

* I know the Amazon faraday envelope isn't perfect because with the key in the envelope, outside the car, I can still open doors! :) The buttons won't work, and I have to be closer to the car than usual. But yeah... it's a crap envelope. Tinfoil works better.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thought about the tin foil.

Wonder if that truck would help keep the truck "asleep" when it is parked in a campsite, and thus conserve battery power.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few things, as I will sometimes get this error.

First, to start your car, do you even need a battery in the remote? Maybe that's why the steering column fix works. Your key fob is not always transmitting a signal. It only does this when you push a button. So, change your batteries, but they should last a while. The keys have ID reflectors in them. The LR4 emits a signal and sees if any valid Key IDs get bounced back. The LR4 is likely not emitting all the time either, it just does it when you push the start button, grab a door handle, try to open a hatch, etc.

Second, there is a known problem with the KVM system that may report the Smart Key Not Found when it really is not an issue. If you are still under OEM or extended warranty, have a dealer check it out. I just did this and they said my firmware was out of date, so they upgraded it and we'll see if that fixes my issue.

Third, I was actually getting the "Smart Key Battery Low" error even after changing the battery. I don't know why. The dealer said you have to lock/unlock the vehicle a couple times after you change a battery to reset the system. I also keep a spare key fob in a faraday envelope that I bought off amazon. It's in the car should I need a spare... I don't think it's a very good envelope* so I think that somehow contributed to the error (even though that contradicts my theory #1, above). I took it out of the envelope and wrapped it in tinfoil instead, and I stopped getting frequent errors.

Anyway, those are my guesses. Hope something in their helps.

* I know the Amazon faraday envelope isn't perfect because with the key in the envelope, outside the car, I can still open doors! :) The buttons won't work, and I have to be closer to the car than usual. But yeah... it's a crap envelope. Tinfoil works better.
Ah but the key has to be communicating continuously(or at least in regular intervals) with the vehicle/module. Otherwise, how would it know as soon as you take the key outside the vehicle after starting it? Gives you a warning.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM