vibration and burning smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all..

Ive already searched the above topic and found a post by "Grover" that decribed my experience exactly tonight..
Just thought I toss it back out there to get some input from you guys:
I was on the highway tonight and noticed that the vehicle started to vibrate. I thought I had a flat. I took the next exit and there was an overwhelming burning smell coming from my rear right tire. I called roadside assistance who came and assessed the car and confirmed that it was my brakes. He jacked it up, spun the tires and there was no resistance. I was able to drive home afterwards wtih no vibration but a faint burning smell. I have a 2005 HSE.. is this a handbrake issue?
Mind you.. I was parked on a fairly steep hill earlier facing downhill with my emergency parking brake activated..would this be a factor as well?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Z

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like a sticking EPB (emergency parking brake) which operates on the right rear.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is happening to me and my 2005. Did you get any warning lights? I just commented on an another thread about this issue. The fix may be brake fluid flush, but I'm curious what you come up with.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no warning lights.. been doing alot of searching on this forums.. common denominator is the emergency handbrake.. prior to this, Ive had a prob with a loud squeal that my stealersh8ip is blaming the handbrake on as well..will keep you posted.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loud squeal is DEFINITELY the EPB. The actuator, specifically.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Took my LR to the stealership today and they confirmed that my EPB were not adjusted after I had my brake pads changed. So the EPB has been rubbing inside the rotor all this time.. And when I went down that big hill, my rotors overheated and it effected the EPB even more because there was contact. And since I bought this LR.. the EPB had not been adjusted and that accounted for my loud squeals (refer to my "Glazing my axle" post). So, hopefully, this is resolved.. we'll soon find out I guess.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635