Vibration Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

disco1

crroach71. I did post on this subject on another forum, and since the problem still persists, and, there appears to be other members with similar problems, I found this little gem which will probably solve all issues. It is specific for 1986 model, but it's basic application applies to all models.

51/54 VIBRATION DIAGNOSIS
The following is intended as an aid for the diagnosis and solution of vibration problems on 1986 model year Range Rovers. When investigating complaints of vibration in the vehicle, it is important that the vehicle is assessed in a logical manner, so that, by a process of elimination, it is possible to determine the exact source of the problem. Therefore the first part of this bulletin gives a step by step sequence for the diagnosis of vibration sources and their elimination. Before initiating any investigation, however, check the vehicle to ensure that the cause is not due to an obviously simple fault. For example: check that all engine and gearbox mountings are of the correct specification and are correctly fitted; check that all exhaust mountings are correctly fitted, in particular check that there is no metal to metal contact between the mountings and the body; check the torque of the propshaft drive flange bolts, the universal joints for excessive play and transfer box and differential bearings for excessive wear.
If your initial investigations do not identify a problem it will be necessary to carry out the following procedure, which will involve some testing of the vehicle.

NOTE

Should it be found at the outset that several vibrations are evident at different road or engine speeds, each must be treated individually. It is highly unlikely that the vibrations will be due to the same problem and therefore each will require a separate cure.
Similarly, if a vehicle is found to be suffering from a particularly harsh vibration, it may not be possible to detect other, less noticeable vibrations which may exist. However, once the primary vibration has been eliminated, the secondary vibration, which again will only be evident at different road or engine speeds, will then become prominent. Again each vibration must be treated separately, allowing the causes to be isolated and the necessary remedial action taken.

RANGE ROVER VIBRATION DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE
1. Road test the vehicle. Does the problem always occur at the same road speed irrespective of the gear selected? (SEE NOTE A).
YES: CHECK 2.
NO: Confirm that the problem occurs at the same engine RPM in all gears. CHECK 21.
2. Does the problem occur at 30-50 mph (48-80 km/hr) in all the available gears?
YES: Check that the front propshaft is correctly phased. The rear yoke must lead the front yoke by two splines. Fit correctly if necessary and re-test. If problem persists CHECK 3.
NO: CHECK 9.
3. Mark the drive flange and remove the front propshaft, engage the diff lock and re-test. Has the vibration been eliminated?
YES: CHECK 4.
NO: Check balance of front and rear wheel and tyre assemblies, using ON-CAR balancing equipment. Check that tyres have even wear characteristics with no evidence of flat spots. If wheels and tyres OK Check 19.
4. Check drive flanges (front output drive flange and front differential pinion flange) for eccentricity and run-out. (SEE NOTE B). Do the flanges conform to the tolerances?
YES: CHECK 7.
NO: CHECK 5.
5. Replace the flange(s). Recheck the eccentricity and run-out. Does the flange(s) conform to tolerances?
YES: CHECK 6.
NO: Fit 2nd replacement flange. Recheck eccentricity and run-out. If tolerances are still incorrect, the differential unit (or alternatively the transfer box) is suspect and should be checked separately. If tolerances correct CHECK 6.
6. Re-test the vehicle with the front propshaft fitted. Is problem still evident?
YES: CHECK 7.
NO: ------.
7. Substitute a replacement propshaft from a donor vehicle and Re-test. Is the problem still evident?
YES: CHECK 8.
NO: Replace propshaft with new unit (or leave on donor unit).
8. Fit the vibration damper assembly to the front axle, (see Attachment 1). (The attachment contains some figures. For further information, please contact Internet E-mail address: [email protected]).Refit the front propshaft and road test. Is the problem still evident?
YES: Repeat diagnosis.
NO: ------.
9. Does the problem occur at 80-80 mph (112-129 kph) in ALL the available gears?
YES: Check that the rear propshaft is correctly fitted. The front and rear yokes must be IN LINE. There should be no phase difference. Realign if necessary and re-test. If problem persists, check ALL wheel and tyre assemblies for balance. If problem still evident CHECK 10.
NO: CHECK 19.
10. Mark the drive flanges and remove the rear propshaft. Secure the transmission brake drum with the propshaft flange nuts. With the differential lock engaged, re-test the vehicle. Is the problem still evident?
YES: CHECK 11.
NO: CHECK 15.
11. Remove the transmission brake drum and re-test. Is the problem still evident?
YES: Cause of problem is unknown. Re-check diagnostic procedure.
NO: CHECK 12.
12. Check the rear output flange on the transfer box, where the DRUM SITS, for eccentricity and run-out (See NOTE B). Does the flange conform to the tolerances?
YES: The handbrake drum is suspect and must be replaced with a known good component. Then CHECK 15.
NO: CHECK 13.
13. Replace the output flange and recheck the eccentricity and run-out. Does the flange conform to the tolerances?
YES: CHECK 14.
NO: Fit 2nd replacement output flange. Recheck eccentricity and run-out. If tolerances still incorrect, transfer box is suspect, and should be checked separately. If tolerances correct CHECK 14.
14. Refit the original handbrake drum and secure to flange with propshaft nuts. Re-test the vehicle without the propshaft fitted. Is problem still evident?
YES: The handbrake drum is suspect and must be replaced with a known good component. Then CHECK 15.
NO: CHECK 15.
15. Check the rear differential pinion flange for eccentricity and run-out. (See NOTE B). Does the flange conform to the tolerances?
YES: CHECK 17.
NO: CHECK 16.
16. Replace the flange. Recheck the eccentricity and run-out. Does the flange conform to the tolerances?
YES: CHECK 17.
NO: Fit 2nd replacement flange. Recheck eccentricity and run-out. If tolerances are still incorrect, the differential unit is suspect, and should be checked separately.

C

crroach71

disco1,

Thanks, thats very informative. Where did you find it? If its from an authoritative source, I may use it when I take it to the dealer to get fixed. It is under warranty.

All - is this something that a LR dealer should know how to handle?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is from the LR Workshop Manual.

D

disco1

Moose is correct, and you certainly can use it; it's a Land Rover/Range Rover Service Bulletin 8/86

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the question. I think it is worn out springs. Basically if I hut a *** hole or big bump on the highway, I get alot of recoil and have to be very alert. City speeds not a problem. New shocks and steering damper installed in November.

hunkslam

Reaction score
ok, im kinda dumb with tech issues, reading this forum, like another language, ok, i have the death shake, when i try and speed up it shakes really bad untill i get off the gas, what could it be??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First, you probably should have started a new thread.... Second without more info it is going to be very hard to say.

Year of Disco
Mileage
Speed up from dead stop? or from 50mph?

hunkslam

Reaction score
96disco, 130000miles, it shakes only when accelerating, the rubber peice at the back of the driveshaft is really badly cracked, so no matter how fast im going, i can speed up from start and it shakes or be on the freeway and have to speed up to pass and it shakes, itll stop when im off the gas or at cruising

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to change that rubber part... can't for the life of me remember what is name actually is right now.

hunkslam

Reaction score
flex joint, damn thing is 120bucks here, i just saw it online for 50, damn...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink