Warning lights, ABS, TC, and Hill Descent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

superpowerdave

First question, so give me some latitude if you will.

I recently purchased a 2000 Discovery with 64,000 miles on it. I am the second owner and the previous owner had all of the inspections/work done at the same dealership by the same mechanic.

My question is this: after going on a short trip this evening, while doing about twenty miles an hour, the ABS, TC, and Hill Descent Control lights all lit up at the same time and a warning chime sounded three times.

Up until this point I've not had any problems. Is there a reason for this?

It is a certified vehicle so if this doesn't appear to be a quick fix I will just take it to the dealer but I'm trying to stay away from that. Any help would be appreciated.

R

rovering

My 2001 SE7 exhibited the identical symtoms at 49K miles. I pulled off the Expressway at the next exit about 4000 yards...pulled over and park, cut the engine, walked around the truck, peeked under it, lifted the bonnet....of course as it dark I was unable to see much of anything. Convinced that it was just a temporary electronic SNAFU I waited for ten minutes and restarted the engine...the instrument panel was clear of any alarm.......that was a few thousand miles ago. That was the first and last time I saw those symtoms.....I just love it when a truck fixes itself. You did not say if the error lights went away. I certainly would not waste my time taking it to the dealer if the fault lights were extinguished and no residual problems are seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do would be check the brake fluid level, if that doesn't fix it.... check to make sure the ABS sensors are not covered in dirt and grime.

S

sosorry12002

I have a 2000 Discovery 2 with 69K miles on it...same issue out of the blue. I will check brake fluid tonight....Where is the sensor located that could be dirty? Is it something I can clean myself somehow? Undercarriage power wash?

B

B2zD2

My 04 is at the dealer for the 2nd time for that problem.. they say it is a sensor problem and they will be replacing the sensor... I'lll let you know how the fix goes on Mon or Tues

B

B2zD2

Ok so they replaced the sensors along with the front pads and rotors... All under warranty :) no lights.... so far

S

smiths65

Same problem & getting grief from the dealer here in Australia

So I have just experienced the same problem as dozens of other on this thread & similar - ABS, TC, Descent lights going on & staying on. Our (only) dealer here in Adelaide, Australia has run a diagnostic and it is giving him a fault code 11.4 (Shuttle valve switch electrical failure). He tells me that the ONLY solution is replacement of the ABS modulator @ $A6000. Hasn't & won't manually test wheel speed sensors. ABS sensors, wheel hub bearings, clean fuse block etc cos he says "the ABS system does this several times each minute anyway". Any advise for a non-mechanical guy?

Thanks,

Matthew

C

capthook

smiths65 said:
So I have just experienced the same problem as dozens of other on this thread & similar - ABS, TC, Descent lights going on & staying on. Our (only) dealer here in Adelaide, Australia has run a diagnostic and it is giving him a fault code 11.4 (Shuttle valve switch electrical failure). He tells me that the ONLY solution is replacement of the ABS modulator @ $A6000. Hasn't & won't manually test wheel speed sensors. ABS sensors, wheel hub bearings, clean fuse block etc cos he says "the ABS system does this several times each minute anyway". Any advise for a non-mechanical guy?

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew, take your truck to another mechanic. Same thing happened with mine and they COULD pin point exactly which wheel speed sensor was faulty, replace just that one and back on the road again with no three lights... Also, they fixed the wheel speed sensor / lights went away but they told me 'the shuttle valve is stuck, and a new ABS mod. would be $1,200') but honestly, I think everyone has had some problems with the damn abs/wheel speed sensors. If not, just wait - you'll see the dreaded TC,ABS, and HDC lights soon :) But when you do, take it to autozone and try to pinpoint which sensor is throwing a code & try to fix it yourself. Joey's right, it's usually dirt / not in there right. Also, Flushed the system's brake fluid and no more shuttle valve error... :) don't spend $$$$$ if it aint really broken. Make sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

capthook

B2zD2 said:
Ok so they replaced the sensors along with the front pads and rotors... All under warranty :) no lights.... so far

Nice that yours was under warranty, it was almost $800 when I took mine in not under warranty to have one wheel speed sensor replaced. It pays to take your wheel apart and look on this one before you leap

-Capt

B

B2zD2

Update.... Now the @#!% SRS light is on... Whats up with these trucks. less than a year old and at least 4 visits to the dealer for this type of problem
Service appt. tomorrow morning... looks like another weekend in a LR3. I think they just want me to get hooked on the much nicer LR3

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9