Warped/cracked wood insert below Nav screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dudes,

Anybody else have issues with this? It's just gotten to be pretty warm in Denver and my '12 LR4 has been outside for a couple days this weekend. The black lacquer wood insert just below the nav screen seems to have reacted negatively to the heat. Towards the left side, the insert has bubbled up and appears to be on the verge of cracking. Pictures to follow, but I wanted to get this out there.

I'm sure it'll be covered under warranty, but I'm not too excited about bringing the truck back in for something like this.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck goes to the dealership on Thursday to get the panel swapped out. I still owe you guys a picture.

The front windows are also getting tinted the same day, and now I'll be deploying my sunshade religiously.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please submit a pic ... Mine is kinda blotchy and is garaged most of the time as its only driven once or twice a week. I have piano black as well

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, this is a pretty tough thing to capture in a photo. My SLR couldn't get it, but of all things, my crappy cell phone got a pic where you can /kind of/ see it. Hopefully you can see that swelling and the crease where it's about to crack.

IMAG0962_zps089e9984.jpg

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. Maybe the wood veneer comes unglued and starts to peal away from the backing - which is alloy of some sort - looks like diecast, but being metal of some sort means it'll get real hot.

When you get it swapped out, ask to look at the old one. It's one very over-engineered piece - it's a few hundred bucks too. I remember when I saw it for the first time I was quite impressed with the quality.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They swapped it out on Thursday, and I didn't think to ask to see the old one. I'm kicking myself.

But the tint was also done on Thursday, and the truck now looks completely awesome. It's 22% on the front two, and really brings the look together.

Hopefully between the fully tinted windows, and the regular deployment of my sunshade up front, I can keep the interior temp down and avoid any more interior pieces freaking out.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They swapped it out on Thursday, and I didn't think to ask to see the old one. I'm kicking myself.

But the tint was also done on Thursday, and the truck now looks completely awesome. It's 22% on the front two, and really brings the look together.

Hopefully between the fully tinted windows, and the regular deployment of my sunshade up front, I can keep the interior temp down and avoid any more interior pieces freaking out.
I am glad you were able to get it swapped out - that's great. The piece is actually pretty easy to pop in and out, and as Count says, it is very interesting design. I had mine switched out too and I got a chance to look at the old piece.

I need to figure out the tinting laws in CA and think about getting the front windows done. Is there a reason you picked 22% ?

-David

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why im going to get that clear heat resistant tint on the front windshield (per my other post)...

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to figure out the tinting laws in CA and think about getting the front windows done. Is there a reason you picked 22% ?

I let the tint guys handle it, and 22% is what they picked. They were shooting to match the tint of the back windows. By my eye it, it looks barely lighter than the back windows. Here's a bad cellphone pic:

IMAG0963_zps3e708df5.jpg

The tint shop has a great reputation in town. It was referred to me by a buddy, and then I found out it's the place that the LR dealership sends all their cars, too.

This is why im going to get that clear heat resistant tint on the front windshield (per my other post)...

Seems like that stuff would help a lot. I've got a black interior, and the exterior is obviously a bit dark, too, so I've got some factors that are working against me.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In WI you are allowed 50% and the front side and 35% on the rear and back sides. I had 35% done on the rear and back on my white LR4. It was just a bit darker than the factory but major difference from the original on the front. I ended up doing 50% and to be honest, I was hard to tell the difference but it was there. I am doing the same to mu new truck, this time I am also doing the UV/Heat Resistance on the sun roof. If it works as good as I hear I will do the windshield.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo