Water...Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

witecaphyr4u

Reaction score
So I went driving though some water holes today and ended up stalling in one of them. (2' deep) I got it started right back up and pulled out and it died again and would not start. After sitting for a bit, I finally got it to start for a couple sec but it sounded really rough. I pulled the maf and there was water under the maf in that little bubble on the intake. I started it with the maf disconnected and still ran really rough and it ended up throwing a code.

So, i got it home(idled all of the way) and it still will idle OK but when you rev it, it tries to stall and when you back off the throttle, the idle jumps up for a second. You can ocillate the throttle and get it to climb to around 2500rpm or so but if you hold it, it bogs out. Its been sitting for a few hours and I started it up and still idles, but will not rev. I noticed a hissing sound that I believe to the the throttle bypass cause you can pinch the hose to the bypass and it changes the sound, not sure if this is normal? The CEL cleared itself and there are no warnings now, but it still will not run right. Any ideas?

My thoughts are fuel/water in the gas, since it idles ok, I think spark ok on all cylinders cause it doesnt sound like its miss firing. It only has a 1/8 tank of gas and I just added 2.25gal fresh gas, but no change, so Im at a loss right now. Im going to let it sit over night and see what it does in the morning. Any ideas would be helpfull.

CSeel

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a sensor issue... my guess would be the crank sensor (normally this would cause it not to start, but may cause the same issue). Also if the MAF got wet it may still be the issue, but normally if you remove it, it would clear up, but throw a code.

You may also have gotten the connectors to the ECU Wet... this will cause odd issues.

witecaphyr4u

Reaction score
It definately appears to be a fuel issue. I can get it idling and spray ether in the air filter and it will rev up like normal.

Does anyone know how the fuel system works, basic description? Does the ecu use the throttle position sensor for fuel control, or is fuel control determined by the MAF and O2 sensors only? Also, why am I not getting a CEL. One last thing, is the fuel pump electric or belt driven?

Also, as luck would have it, I cannot find my Rave cd.

T/

CSeel

witecaphyr4u

Reaction score
Well, ended up taking it to the mechanic since I had to head out of town this week. They are saying the MAF, but im not sure if I buy that since when I disconnected it, it still wouldnt run right, and threw a MIL. They are checking part pricing and availability, so will hopefully know something tomorrow.
cs

witecaphyr4u

Reaction score
Well, they were right, they replaced the MAF and held out their hand for $360. Oh well, its back on the road and they had it fixed before I got back from my trip so all is good I guess. BTW, roversnorth has maf's for $139 which is half of what they charged me for mine....ouch...

BTW, i think im going to swich back to the stock airbox with maybe a K&N, instead of the open K&N I have now.

cs

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Either way with a K&N if you over oil it, you will ruin another MAF... the oil for the filter kills MAF's like a kid eats candy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4