Water Moisture Under Oil Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Mark

I checked my oil today and saw what appears to be water under the oil cap and around the valve hose just aft of the oil cap.

Why should or would there be water appearing here. Is the engine not getting hot enough. I also saw water drops coming out of the tail pipe after I sprayed Seafoam into the valve cover hose.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Condensation is normal in these areas, it can be cause from several things, but normally it is the engine is getting hot and and moisture in the engine will rise and contact to the points, since they are the coolest parts exposed to the outside temps.

M

Mark

So the Plenum hose (driver side) is sucking cool air into the engine intake and condesending on the surfaces, but what about the oil cap?

My Plenum hose sits loose around the ******* and that has always bothered me as I thought hoses should have been tight , not loose.

Will the water affect the oil or the innards of the upper part of the engine?

In my line of work, I question "that's the way it always is", because I cannot afford failures of equipment - Lives are at stake....

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Condensation is normal but it is usually vaporized when the engine is run at operating temperature for a while. If you do a lot of around town driving or short trips, the engine may never get hot enough to vaporize the condensation. If that is the case, change the oil frequently.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
as far as the plenum hose sitting loose, replace it if it is that loose, I bought a silicon hose kit from Jegs IIRC and changed out all the hoses.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, no lives will be in jeapardy from moisture in your oil cap, unless your line of work is creating hydrophobic micro-organisms in the cap - in which case they will be screwed :)
Take it for a long drive, all will be ok.

M

Mark

I took it for a 150 mile drive, so no more worries.

However, I am intrigued and interested in the hose replacement. Until then, I am going to use tie-wraps to close the hose a little snugger against the ******. Maybe that will ease the oil slick forming around the hose on top of the valve cover.

Thanks All...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM