Water sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

capthook

...got a question, is it normal for me to hear sloshing water sounds (dash area, I think - maybe lower? could be from engine area?) upon accel. from stop light, or from dead stops to moving?

99 Disco II; Yes - its been out in some serious Northern California rain, uncovered and in the elements.

I've noticed that it does it all the time, I guess it could be a normal Rover querk I can live with. The a/c evap. drain plug functions fine if you are wondering... always ******* on my driveway.

Any help would be greatly appriciated, you guys seem to have all of the answers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tcosson

Perhaps your radiator is low on coolant. My GMC makes sounds like that when it is low. The rover doesn't have a leak so I can't say if it would make the same noise or not.

D

disco1

Sloshing water sounds like a collection of it somewhere (obviously). If you can hear it, it sounds like it's inside your vehicle. I haven't heard of this before. Are you sure that there isn't a bottle of drink lying under one of your seats?

S

SteveA

The Discovery II often makes the sound of water running through the dash on the passenger side behind the air bag. You can usually hear it if you have the car in park or neutral and rev the engine. This is caused by air trapped inside the heater core. Has the car been leaking coolant? Check and see if it's low. Look on top of the driver's side valve cover. Does it have crusty residue on top? That's a really common place for them to leak (throttle body heater gasket).

If it is low, top it up and the air bubble will eventually bleed itself out. There is a technique to get this bubble out, but it invloves lifting the rear of the car on a lift. It should go away by itself.

Stephen

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revisit those A/c condesate drains, and check them both. Just because it puddles in your driveway doesn't mean that both drains are operating to the best of their ability. That is usually where I find the answer to my water-noise related problems. Also check the drains at the area near the firewall under the bonnet. I never had a problem with the Rover's holding water, but I once saw my wife's Plymouth mini-van plug up with elm tree seeds bad enough to create a niagra styled waterfall into the drivers floor board. Good Luck, LRW

C

capthook

Thanks for all of the tips guys, I'll let you know what works. I figured it was a pretty simplistic / non-existant problem, just didn't know if it was natural or not to be hearing this when ever I come out of park. But okay, I'll check the a/c evap lines / drain plugs again + all the other good stuff u guys mensioned. Also, it could be air trapped in the core like SteveA said because it was low on coolant when I bought it. In fact, the heater didn't work, so I filled up the overflow and 'like magic' ; it worked and still works A+. Don't really see any leaks anywhere, but it could be a small one that is getting past me some how. I'll take a look again today, and try to get this Rover to spit the water out.

C

capthook

LRWheelman said:
Revisit those A/c condesate drains, and check them both. Just because it puddles in your driveway doesn't mean that both drains are operating to the best of their ability. That is usually where I find the answer to my water-noise related problems. Also check the drains at the area near the firewall under the bonnet. I never had a problem with the Rover's holding water, but I once saw my wife's Plymouth mini-van plug up with elm tree seeds bad enough to create a niagra styled waterfall into the drivers floor board. Good Luck, LRW

The only drains I know of are the a/c ones, I guess those are the ones toward the rear of the engine (firewall area). I'll try getting to those today, perhaps I've got some mud/buildup on one of the ******* - keeping water into those lines? I dunno. Aside from my resident tsunami the truck is a dream, I can't begin to express just how happy my wife + I are with our rover. It rides like glass, and in a 4x4 situation it's a great vehicle capable of WAY more than any of those 'wannabe' suv's out there. I know, because I've owned alot of trucks. My wife and I have had Rodeos, 1 4-runner, Jeeps, and a Chevy k5 Blazer 4x4. Got to say, hands down- the Rover is the best 4x4 out of the bunch. In any event, I'll keep paying $2.50 / gallon! That's love!

M

mddisco

I have the same problem on my 2000 series II. I started hearing water sounds near the driver side window... at first, i thought it was some water stuck between some panels or something...

i was low on fluid and i have been refilling it once a week for the past month.. i checked everything to see and i can't find any leaks. all my hoses and clamps are snug and fit. i don't have any extra white smoke coming from my exhaust (so its not mixing in the engine). the oil and fluid left in the reservoir are the correct colors.

the clutch on my fan works but my hoses are not full of water. no leaks near the water pump. i have no leaks on my driveway. no antifreeze smells after the engine has been running all day...

the only other thing i can think of is my radiator is clogged......

if i can't find the problem this weekend i'm going to have to take it to the shop so a "professional" can tell me whats wrong.

98GRDisco

I was told that the sloshing sound is from the drain hose on the AC it is cloged with either mildew or with mud or something.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had this same issues on my 2000 disco II. I've since nailed it down to being low a little low on coolant. If I keep it topped up, that noise stays away. I guess you could call it my rovers way of keeping me in line with coolant levels....

Cheers

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM