well...truck can't get through EVERYTHING...fun day in the snow...not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving in Wisconsin today and pulled off the side of the road to look for my phone, which I left at our lake house. Tried to get back on the road, nope! got stuck in deep snow. Tried all the different 4x4 choices, nada. Of course, it may have been my lack of skills but 4 really nice people pulled over in separate vehicles and told me I was just stuck and it probably would have happened in any truck, other than maybe a Humvee. I did discovery one thing, I need a chain or strap! luckily someone had a chain and even they had trouble finding traction on the road to get me out, but eventually they did. Gotta love good samaritans! Just ordered a 3x30 tow strap, some D-rings and a good folding shovel.

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
er...nope. never even thought about getting snow tires for this truck, figured it could handle anything!!!!!! I was wrong. not the truck's fault, snow was just too deep for it and snow tires probably would've helped. I was overconfident about it's abilities in deep snow apparently.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really curious what tires you were on. The stock tires are absolutely horrible in snow. Highly recommend snow tires. Stopping and turning 6000 lbs is hard and 4WD doesn't help much with that.

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, stock! And I'm certainly not complaining about the truck, it's more driver error this time. Truck is fine on snow/ice on streets, it's just this damn "ditch"! Amazed so many people stopped to help! I got at least 2 of their names and have to find them and get them something in thanks.

Reactions: mbw

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the snow from a snow plow or fresh? Yes snow tires would have helped. But not much in super deep snow where all the weight is on the undercarriage. You can drop the suspension to compress the snow a little, which will probably end up putting it in super extended mode. Rocking back and forth in F and R, and turning the wheel back and forth usually gets you out. Should have taken pictures!
So, snow tires and a ****** strap (not just a tow strap)

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
side question, anyone know how to change your "name" on the forum? no idea why I'm Hplr3. maybe it was auto generated when I joined...

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some strap by ABR or APR? was recommended...and a small folding shovel.

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tank-tracks-mattracks-convert-your-suv-into-a-tank.jpeg
or this!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the snow from a snow plow or fresh? Yes snow tires would have helped. But not much in super deep snow where all the weight is on the undercarriage. You can drop the suspension to compress the snow a little, which will probably end up putting it in super extended mode. Rocking back and forth in F and R, and turning the wheel back and forth usually gets you out. Should have taken pictures!
So, snow tires and a ****** strap (not just a tow strap)
That snow compress height thing is a neat idea. I might have to try it. Good way to clean salt off the underside also!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99