well...truck can't get through EVERYTHING...fun day in the snow...not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do weekend trips to Vermont to ski and need dedicated winter tires. Sure they have better traction, but more importantly they provide better braking and turning of this heavy vehicle on slick roads. I bought a set of used LR4 19" wheels off ebay, tpms sensors from the dealer and Nokian Hakka SUV R2 winter tires. Narrower (19") is better than 20" in snow. Taller sidewalls may help prevent pothole damage too. I always carry a tow strap, D-rings and a small shovel. If I know I'm going to be driving through a storm, I bring along the Max Trax as well.

I run a 245/60r20 on the Blizzaks DM-V1's, so definitely a narrower and a bit taller tire for the winter versus stock or the 285/55r20 on the Coopers
Being prepared is key, no different than going on an excursion, you never know when "that" moment will happen and you need to un-stick yourself, or someone else.

Sheepmesa

Reaction score
In deep snow I often turn off DSC (a/k/a dynamic stupidity control) and use the sand mode. Usually works much better than snow mode with DSC on. Also, I have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 snow tires on my 2011 and 2016 LR4s. Both LR4s have the heavy duty package with locking center and rear differentials, which makes a huge difference.

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I did turn off the traction control but as has been said, think I just spun the tires too much and created an ice slick. The traction mats seem like a great idea. I did get a tow strap, some D rings (although they are huge!, not sure where to attach those, maybe I need to have the tow hitch installed for that) and a folding shovel. Or maybe I just won't pull off the side of the road next time into freshly plowed snow piles! As for the person who said it could be driver error - BINGO!!!!! I'm sure I did a few incorrect things when I first noticed I was stuck. ;)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get a tow strap, some D rings (although they are huge!, not sure where to attach those, maybe I need to have the tow hitch installed for that) and a folding shovel.

You have proper tow ring attach points both front and rear. The rear is just behind the cover and the front is under a plastic chin spoiler. You can permanently remove the front cover and I think it looks fine that way.

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check when wife gets home with the truck. I didn't see anything on the rear but then again, I didn't take off the cover either...thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99