What do you like/Disklike about your Roofrack??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a custom rack. My current plans are to cover the entire upper roof section. I only intend to put a few light weight items up there when I am overlanding. At the moment it will probably start with a shovel, axe and hilift. Though the hi lift will likly get relocated to the ARB once I get one. I intend to make the rack easily removable through the use of Yakima Control towers/landing pads that will mount directly the rack. (No cross bars required). I have access to a welder and tubing bender so this will be relatively easy for me. I'm just looking for Ideas that I may want to incorporate into the design.

The reason for this direction is I typically go for a week at a time and want minamal loading unloading, while keeping the offroad essetials at hand(Not buried under my gear)..
I also need to keep everything tied down in the event of a rollover, so removing what I can from the back helps...

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Rover Racks Rack and love it, I have a shovel, axe and high lift mount as well as 4 light tabs up front and one in the rear, those things plus the fact that the steel tubing is bullet proof...

Only dislike is the wind noise, was gonna put a wind faring up there, put I decided I'm gonna put 4 Hellas across instead :rock:

Also love the fact that I can still open my sunroof and have the rack cover the whole roof.

If you can scrap build something like that, U'll be very happy with it.

Edit: Their website is roverracks.com and I was going to show a couple pics of the rack but I forgot I sent them pics of me using their rack to show as appreciation and they put it on the front page with LandCrazy's LR3 and a Defender 110, (mine is the one with kayaks on top :biggrin:)

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you usinig alluminum or just light steel?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you usinig alluminum or just light steel?

Will probably be liteweight steel but aluminum is an option I am considering. As far as wind noise I am thinking about raking the front similar to the LR EXPO rack and incorporating a fairing to help cut down some noise.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would angle the front as well you can always put a yak or thule wind deflector on the front. I habe a thule basket for my rack it works good, I can thruw my full size spare up there, If I was buliding one I would either do like brownchuch has with the same mounting system but I I was going full length I would have 3 mounts to a side just for a bit more support. I also like urban off roads rack http://urbanoffroad.us/
I would be between the 2 Alluminium would be sweet but it might be a tad pricy, but if you are set up to weld Allum verry cool and would match the front LR3 sump skid leave it raw, or polish it up for some bling

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The down side of any rack is the loss of gas mileage, usually around 1.5 to 2.0 MPG on the road, that and trying to fit it in your garage when done.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the wind deflector on mine and it drastically cut the noise - Hella lights would look much better though!!. I have the rover racks full length. I had the floor installed but it covered the rear sunroof and my kids wanted it off so its gone. The rover racks ladder is a big plus I enjoy it but you could live without it.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't really found a need for aux lights. The main headlights have done well for me in my limited night travel. I set the rig up to be out for a week at a time and whats more important is limited movement of gear each night. Currently I have a food cabinet and ARB fridge that uses the entire rear opening so all my food is accesbible just by opeing the hatch. My goal now is to get some of the neceseties out of the back and up on the roof. Namely just items I probably won't use and don't weigh much, that way they are still easily accesible and I don't have to move them just to get my sleeping gear out everynight. The reason for using the Yakima Control towers is for easy removal (I don't intend to leave the rack on all the time, only when needed). So it looks like the consensus is to incorporate a wind deflector of some sort. Thanks for the advice

MadRover

Reaction score
Humming Roofrack on a new 2010 Range Rover

Hello:

I'm new to this site.

Unfortunately, my new RR, with a roof rack installed by the dealer, hums regularly at 28-30 MPH when the crossbars are on. The dealer has tried to fix it by gluing the rubber on the crossbars to keep it from resonating, but this did not work. Although the problem can be remedied by removing the crossbars, I find it annoying that this is occurring on a new 80K vehicle.

Any thoughts on how to approach this issue with the dealer? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I'm new to this site.

Unfortunately, my new RR, with a roof rack installed by the dealer, hums regularly at 28-30 MPH when the crossbars are on. The dealer has tried to fix it by gluing the rubber on the crossbars to keep it from resonating, but this did not work. Although the problem can be remedied by removing the crossbars, I find it annoying that this is occurring on a new 80K vehicle.

Any thoughts on how to approach this issue with the dealer? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks.

What type of rack did you purchase. I had the sport bar on my 06 RR and it was so loud I removed and replaced it will a full size rack the was about the same.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90