What have you had break on the trail??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the inspiration behind this thread is dealing with my recent trailside failures. My hope here is to create a list of "spare parts" essentials to carry in the rig.
The two big ones for me are the rear tierod bolt and the airspring. As these get up there in age it is more important to me to carry the proper spares. You can buy just an air spring without the strut so I will likely end up with a front and a rear as a spare. Currently I only really carry some misc nuts/bolts. I also carry the original height sensor connecting rods. So what do you carry and why?

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread start . . . .

I've not had my Rover long and I've only been able to take it on one trail ride thus far . . . . but currently I carry fuses, tire repair kit (ARB has a nice kit in a handy carry case), a 12V air compressor.

My other trail rig has a much more complete parts list . . . but it's a Jeep.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
borrowing from all the contributions in your other thread:

Rear Control Arm Bolt
IMG_2193.jpg

P/N RYG501580
Tools needed to replace:
18mm socket
Hammer and punch if old one has sheared off
Torque to 129 lb. ft. (175 Nm)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry extra height sensors (and the arms). I probably should make sure I have the tools to change them too, huh!?!?

I also have a spare tie-rod bolt and a punch that I will start carrying. So...tha'ts a 14mm bolt but the head is 18mm, is that right?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct for the stock bolt. Aftermarket will have a bigger head on it.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each item likely comes from personal or someone else's experience, so this is a good thread to get real world experiences. As others have begun to point out, it's important to list any tools required for R&R.

From my recent off-road adventure - I am now carrying a full-size spare. Another thing to note is it's a bad time to find out you don't have a tire changing kit when you need to change a tire. My dealer overlooked this, but have since remedied the situation. Thank God we were with other people who had tools that worked. So make sure you have the tools you are supposed to have to change a tire.

MileHigh - I have a very extensive list of items I take with me for my bronco as well, but most are not applicable here.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see.... I've had the radiator hose blow out on an older F-350. It happened about 3 x while on the road and I didn't have a spare. We kept cutting it down to fit better and with the last bit of length it finally held until we could get to a town to get a spare.
I've used a leather belt for a fan belt replacement. But I never travel anywhere without duct-tape. I've used it to strap body panels, patch hoses, strap gear, etc back on, patch wounds on both dogs and myself, and anything else.
But I haven't blown any metal like you guys. This thread is a good resource to learn from.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had a failure on the trail, but I have had failures related to abuse caused by certain trails, or bad driving, or both.

1. Broken/dislodged fuel pump inside the gas tank, on a rock
2. Crushed exhaust pipes at rear diff on a rock
3. Peeled off my front factory stock skid plate on a rock
4. Peeled off my rear bumper on a rock
5. Had the tweeter on the A-pillar become dislodged on extreme Death Valley washboard
6. Had the exterior a-pillar cover blow off in a very strong, santa ana wind while traveling a bit above the posted limit.
7. Had the passenger side door trim become "adrift" in a high current water crossing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90